Will They Root?

Julian, WV

Recently I had planted a clematis on each side of a rose. When saying good morning to them the other morning I saw that one of the vines had been broken off and in two pieces. Needless to say I was very upset by this. They had just started to vine and grow good. Not knowing just what to do I put them in water. I figured that the next morning I would find them dead of at least looking poorly but to my suprise they look very healthy. All perky and green just as if they were still on the main plant growing. My question is this ..... Will they root in water? Should I plant them back outside in soil? Any help would be appreciated.......Thanks

Kent, WA(Zone 7a)

I have not had luck with rooting these vines in water. Usually I get them to root when the vine is so long that it trails on the ground, then I just put some soil over one of the leaf joints and it roots in time. What you could do with the vines that you have now is experiement: have one in water and with the other one try a rooting hormone on its tip and stick it in soil.

Franktown, CO(Zone 5a)

Clematis are hard to start! I have been experimenting for 3 years and my odds are pretty low. I would put it in potting mix and keep moist. If the plant broke off above a node, the main plant will still grow and do well. If you have an automatic mist system then, thats another story. Clematis need misting to root easily.

Julian, WV

Thanks tabby and Deanne for the information. I had this sinking feeling that they wouldnt be able to form roots this way or putting them back in soil. Guess I was hoping that I was wrong and would get an answer that they would.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.