Poppy "Danish Flag"

St. Paul, MN(Zone 4b)

Hello All.

I thought I would share a pic of my favorite poppy this year. It's called "Danish Flag" (it was supposed to have yellow in it, too, but it's still stunning without it, in my opinion). I picked up the seeds last fall at the flower markets in Amsterdam.

If I plant the seeds from this plant, will I get the same poppy next year, or will the seeds be a mix of colors from the various poppies in the neighborhood?

Erick

Thumbnail by ErickMN
Joseph, OR(Zone 5a)

Hey Erick,
I received a whole bunch of these seeds this summer, too late for planting. How tall did yours grow? What was the foliage like? The lady I got mine from collects hers every year. Very nice poppy, good job.

James

St. Paul, MN(Zone 4b)

Hello James.

Thank you for the kind words. They vary in height when blooming, from 12" to ~30" and have attractive, longer serrated leaves. I find them to be amazingly beautiful.

All the best to you in growing them next year!

Erick

Joseph, OR(Zone 5a)

You're welcome Erick and thank you. Very nice flowers you've grown.

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

These are supposed to come back true from seed. I think I've tested my collected seed at one time or another.

Thumbnail by Weezingreens
St. Paul, MN(Zone 4b)

Thank you, Weezingreens. What a gorgeous picture!

Erick

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

Thank you, Erick. As I recall, this is an heirloom variety, so named because of the white cross in the center that resembles the Danish Flag. I believe it is also called Danebrog Laced, though I am not absolutely sure they are one and the same: http://www.net-garden.de/Foto-Seiten/Schlafmohn6.html

St. Paul, MN(Zone 4b)

Wow, Weezingreens. How very interesting! They sure look like one and the same. Thank you for helping me to appreciate this poppy even more! I'll definitely be saving seeds for next year.

Erick

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

The pods hold lots & lots of seed. I'd let them ripen on the plant... the pods will turn brown and holes will appear along the underside of the cap. You can shake the seed out if you want to save the pods for winter arrangements.

Cincinnati (Anderson, OH(Zone 6a)

Those are really neat looking poppies.

St. Paul, MN(Zone 4b)

Thank you Weezingreens. I noticed yesterday that some of the pods are turning brown. Now I know what to do with them!

Thank you tabasco. I agree!

Erick

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.