Earth Boxes & Older Plants

Los Angeles, CA(Zone 10a)

Can you use older plants in EB's or just seedlings? I have a pepper that is not that big yet that I was growing in a hanging basket, and am wondering if I can put it in the Earthbox. It has peppers all over it right now. But but its only about a foot tall.

Thumbnail by kanita
New York & Terrell, TX(Zone 8b)

I don't see why not; just remember to give it some additional composted cow manure surrounding it, as if you're doing a side dressing to renurish it. Kelp or fish emulsion do well too. Was/is it supposed to be 24" to 36" tall?

~* Robin

I think is should be taller, but I don't know if I am supposed to use manure in an Earthbox.

I do every season to 'pump-up' my soil! I have 17 EB's for nearly 7 years now.

~* Robin

Thanks Nature walker. How many pepper plants do you put per Earthbox?

Ok, forgot to 'watch this thread.'

I usually put 8 pepper plants in there. Don't you have the booklets that came with the EB's? It tells you what soils to use, how to fertilize, and how many of a different variety plant you can put in them.

I know how things grow in there; so this year I put 2 tomato, 4 basil (one in each corner,) and 4 pepper plants in 2 different boxes to see how they fare.

I use the fish emulsion once every week and water them 2 times a week. In the heat of August, I check them for water supply every day. I stick my pinky in the hole in front!

~* Robin

Robin, I do have the instructions, but on another thread, some people disagreed with the quantities that EB quotes. So I was just wondering if you put less than recommended.

Pembroke Pines, FL(Zone 10a)

Kanita -- Came in late on this but anyway I say follow EB instructions and then next season do as you have learned.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.