Butterfly Bush seedlings

Mystic, CT(Zone 6b)

Does anyone know what seedlings of Black Knight revert to? I've got three little bushes growing in my driveway, under my Black Knight. I'd like to know more about them- like how long do they bloom, hardiness, what variety they are, etc.

If it is a species, are they worth growing, or will they bloom less long than the other more modern hybrids? I already have Empire Blues, and Dartmoors, as well.

Dearborn, MI(Zone 5b)

I can't address Black Knight specifically, but can tell you that the most vigorous butterfly bushes in my yard (and those of friends I've been able to pawn them off on) are the seedlings. Bbs from the nursery are marginally top-hardy and sometimes not even root hardy in this area, but the seedlings are amazing. They are taller, bushier, and totally hardy, plus they have more flowers. Some of the seedlings seem to be true to the parent, but I also have a pure white one that grows much larger than the others and has 10" flower heads. Its parent was dark purple--go figure--and I pulled it from between paving stones and planted it bare root; three years later it's a monster plant. Many seedlings will give you a flower in their first year, so you may know soon what you have.

Mystic, CT(Zone 6b)

It's definitely right in between purple and pink (one already has a flower). They have orange eyes.

I just realized that one of my two Empire Blues in the backyard is no longer blue! I think it has reverted. It is way bigger than the other Empire Blue I have left, but the color is like the seedlings in the front yard. It's too bad, I realy like The color of the Empire Blues.

Dearborn, MI(Zone 5b)

Butterfly bushes do seem to have a mind of their own! Maybe your seedlings will become something wonderful.

Mystic, CT(Zone 6b)

Hope so. Even if not, I can put them out in the driveway and sell them for something green and wonderful!

Zion, IL(Zone 5a)

I didn't dump a 1/2 barrel near a black knight last fall. I finally stuck a few squash seeds in it this summer and was watching the volunteer stuff. Some dill from last year and I thought I recognized a butterfly. I discovered it's blooming this afternoon. Just like mama.

Mystic, CT(Zone 6b)

Alright I've got two baby Black Knights, and two or three light pinky purple ones. I guess I better dig them up unless I want a totally unusable driveway....Oh, heck, who needs a driveway!

Zion, IL(Zone 5a)

Thats the spirit!!

Mystic, CT(Zone 6b)

I had two planted in front of my fence, just at the side of the gravel turnaround. My father literally would try to run them down every time he parked there. He's not into gardening. In fact he barely ever sets foot outside his air-conditioned house! He rides in the air-conditioned car and then back into the house. Coming over to our house is like torture, I think! He probably felt like the plants were encroaching on the driveway , and it was his duty to run over them!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.