Equipment to turn pine slash into compost

Montezuma, NM(Zone 5b)

Wondering if anyone has suggestions about breaking down pine slash (we are thinning our forest) into size for compost heap? I know there are chipper/shredders. I can't make out what would be the best choice of those. And, I'd like to know if there are any other means that would be maybe less quiet and maybe cheaper?
Thanks
koko

Oak Grove, MN(Zone 4a)

I don't know what "slash" is, but if you mean cut down trees and stuff, a chipper/shredder works great. Ours is 7 horsepower and cost about $600 (I think). You can buy them significantly larger. You might try renting one if you only need it a few days, you can get a bigger one for the money.

Zion, IL(Zone 5a)

To reduce trunks, limbs and branches to wood chips it's going to take loud noisy power. If you're thinning a forest then I'm imagining trunk diameters larger than 3" which is about the largest most chippers in the stores will handle I think.

I guess I'd have to agree with renting one because you could probably find one with much larger capacity. That or just pile everything where it can be accessed from your road and find maybe you can find a local service that would then come out and run it all through their big chipper like what utility departments have or maybe a tree removal service.

Montezuma, NM(Zone 5b)

Thought I'd responded already about slash. My neighbor will take most of the wood for fire wood. I'm using some for fencing. The slash are the smaller 3" or less limbs and pine needles that are left.
Thanks for your ideas.
koko

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.