Russian Sage

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 4a)

I luv the way it so delicate looking. I'm going to try and see if I can take cuttings and root them.
:) Donna

Thumbnail by PerennialGirl
Chicago, IL(Zone 6a)

I believe you can just divide your Russian Sage in the fall. No need to take cuttings unless you just want try it for youself. Mine have become quite thick and are invading my Echinea which don't seem able to fight them off so I plan to divide this fall.

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 4a)

Mine hasn't spread at all. I think I've had it for about 4 or 5 years already.

Chicago, IL(Zone 6a)

Well I suppose being that our climates are quite different could have something to do with it. I'm assuming you feed throughout the season? I cut mine back before they started to do any thing this spring and they grew back stronger than ever. I probably should have cut back in the fall but it didn't seem to matter. I hadn't done that in previous years. I'm not sure what type of soil they prefer. Mine is a normal Ph and has a little clay so it's not super fast draining.

Good luck in your efforts.

Oak Grove, MN(Zone 4a)

Twice while working around my Russian sage, I have broken pieces off of it. Both times, I just stuck the pieces in the ground and kept them well-watered and they have grown roots and new leaves without any other care.

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 4a)

I don't usually feed my perennials in the flower beds. Maybe that's why it doesn't spread as fast.

Zion, IL(Zone 5a)

Donna, if you're in the habit of cutting back in the fall, don't do it this year. Let them go till next spring and you'll have volunteers. They're not rampant but I do get some when I don't cut back in the fall.

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 4a)

I don't cut them back in the fall. I just wait till they pop up again and than trim. Maybe mine are just slow or maybe feeding them would help them.
Thanks!

Mount Angel, OR(Zone 8a)

They start incredibly easy from cuttings, so go for it.

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 4a)

Okie, dokie....I'll be giving it a try.

New York & Terrell, TX(Zone 8b)

Here's a good reason to divide the Russian Sage:

This is where I got my starts! Look at the date.

~* Robin

Thumbnail by NatureWalker
Winnipeg, MB(Zone 4a)

Holy Smokes! It must be because of your zone.

Concord, NH(Zone 5a)

Thanks for posting your pictures. My hubby has seen this and said he would like some for our garden but I didnt know what it was. If he tells me he likes something I will add it quick LOL.

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 4a)

Than you! You better run to the garden center and find some quick before he changes his mind...lol.

Zion, IL(Zone 5a)

It's good to plant daffodils or stuff around the russian sage since they can get big (even when cut near the ground in the spring) and start splaying out. I've got a poor silver sage that gets it's big furry leaves grown out and it's bloom completed just in time each year. Then it all but disappears from site.

(Zone 4a)

I bought one plant; rooted three slips.
For six years, no suckers. Now the four plants
are suckering.

My neighbor's Perovskia suckered in its third year.

The zone does not affect propagating this plant.
It is what you do and when you do it.

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 4a)

Okay. Thanks for the info.

PerennialGirl,

If you want more of the Russian Sage; all you have to do is bend some of it down and put some soil on top of the bent down part. It forms roots really easy, and you can then clip them off and plant them in a different place. I did it by accident and found out how fast it roots.

~* Robin

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 4a)

Great idea! Never thought of doing it that way. Except it might be a problem. I would have to dig up other plants to make room to do it....lol.

When the stalks are young they are growing fast and are very pliable (flimsy). That is when you can/should to do it! If you see any new suckers come up; catch them at 6-8 inches, that size works out the best.

~* Robin

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 4a)

I'll have to remember that for next year. Thanks!

Concord, NH(Zone 5a)

I still havent found any around here to buy. He also wants some allium. A good way to take some more lawn from him! LOL

nanners1955,

I can send you some Russian Sage for postage: $3.85, (I believe it's still that) for up to 1 pound; and some allium seeds, which you can start indoors now to be big enough to plant out in spring. Dmail me.

~* Robin

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.