Buttercups anyone?

Fayetteville, NC(Zone 8a)

I am going to be cutting back a big patch of buttercups and will gladly share the rooted babies. These are great groundcover and bloom in the spring with bright yellow flowers that look like miniature ranunculus.

Greensburg, IN(Zone 6a)

you have mail

Hi kareoke--I did not get any mail from you. Want to try again?

Concord, NH(Zone 5a)

Will these survive in my zone?

Hi nanners--I have done a little bit of searching to answer your question and find that there are dozens of different varieties that grow as far north as Canada, as far south as Texas and in Europe. They are very hardy and I can't imagine that you would have trouble with them. The spring they were the prettiest for me, we had tons of snow all that winter before and they bloomed constantly from April all the way through June. Would you like to give them a try?

Southeast, NE(Zone 5a)

I think I would. I'm the same zone as nanners. I'll D-mail you.

Loganville, GA(Zone 8a)

You have mail!

Mount Pleasant, MI(Zone 5b)

Thanks again Diane! They look so great and healthy. I have them in my front pear tree bed. Lots of sun, so I hope they will take hold.

Are they very invasive?

Nick

Mansfield, TX(Zone 8a)

Any left? I would love to try them.

Nick, I don't think I would say "very" invasive, but they are a ground cover and they do spread. If they are happy they spread more, of course, so yeah they are somewhat invasive. My patch has been bordered on two sides by pathways, so easy to just keep them clipped back there. On the other two sides, they ran up under butterfly bushes and irises. Every once in a while, I just grabbed them back out of there. If you have them in a bed situation, you should be able to keep them where you want them. They would be great on a hillside or someplace like that, too, where they could just run to their hearts content. They are pretty in the spring with those little fluorescent yellow flowers all over them. I don't have any good pictures of them to post. Just got a good digital camera this year.

stownes, I could send out one more box at the end of this week. I am having back surgery on Monday and that will be the end of shipping for a while. If you will Dmail me your address, I'll get you some starts.

Diane,

They Buttercups are coming up great, but something is eating the tender new leaves... looks like rabbits to me, but I read that rabbits won't eat it...

Any ideas?

Happy Spring, too.

Happy Spring to you, too.
I've never had anything chew on my Buttercups and I have wild bunnies in my yard. Sorry I just don't know. Could it be an insect instead? Grasshoppers, etc.

Try a hot pepper deterrent. The only thing that won't affect is birds.

Let me know if you find out what's doing the damage. I'm glad they are doing well. Mine are starting to bloom now, too.

Diane

I will try the pepper treatment on them... It is waaay to early for grasshoppers... maybe slugs? I don't see any trails around them.

They are just pushing through the mulch, and I want them to get a healthy start....

I will keep you posted.

I didn't think about your insects being later than ours. I had mosquitoes chasing me today.

I really hope you find the varmint that's doing the damage. Do you have larger animals like deer? They eat rose thorns!!

Diane

I do not usually have a deer problem... and the leaves are "nibbled". The stem is largely left intact....

Maybe I could cover them with some screening until they mature if the pepper spray doesn't work....

Hmmmmm. It's really a mystery to me. Is anything else being nibbled as well?

Not a thing has been touched... They seemed fine this evening.. No more damage I can see.

I will keep checking.

Maybe they know you are on to them.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.