Obediant plant

Niceville, FL(Zone 8b)

Yes, I know they are somewhat aggressive, but they are really pretty and are reliable to bloom.

Thumbnail by rylaff
Archie, MO(Zone 5b)

I love them! I bought the last two white ones at my greenhouse, thats all they carried was white though, been looking for some pink and purple ones.

Oak Grove, MN(Zone 4a)

This is the first year for mine, and I planted them in maple tree roots. So far, they are holding their own.

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 4a)

I grow them to. I've decided that trying a few times with them, that they definitely do better in an area that is kind of shaded.
:) Donna

Monroe, NC(Zone 7b)

I love them too...and mine aren't too aggressive. The actually seem to behave quite nicely! Here in Blazing NC they seem to like a tad of shade and plenty of water. Mine might be behaving because I don't give them all the water they want.

Archer/Bronson, FL(Zone 8b)

Lisa,

Seems like what you have blooming, I have starting to bloom. I received Obedient Plants at the Okeechobee Roundup in February. They've been growing all spring and summer and now, they are starting to bloom.

They look white, but are actually the palest of pink. Very lovely.

Now when you say they are invasive, what is their methodology?

We also hear that spiderwort is invasive, but down here, they seem to be behaving themselves. I wonder if the heat retards their invasiveness?

Molly
:^)))

Thumbnail by MollyMc
Niceville, FL(Zone 8b)

Could be. I dont know, someone warned me that they were invasive. I have not yet found that to be true, although they do seem to multiply fairly easily. They also seem to tolerate whatever the weather dishes out, which I can appreciate. Not even the hurricane or the salt water it blew in hurt them.

Dearborn, MI(Zone 5b)

Obedient plants wander via underground stolons. In four years, mine have almost totally moved from where I originally planted them to the place they seem to prefer--about six feet away! They don't stay clumplike, but behave more like monarda. I don't mind plants that travel, but they do sometimes come up in the middle of another plant.

Bridgewater, MA(Zone 6b)

I grow them too, and they are really beautiful. The wild Obediant Plant, Physostegia virginiana can be invasive, and spreads quickly, but most of the cultivars seem to behave themselves really nicely. I have "Bouquet Rose" in very rich soil, and it has spread slowly but steadily as I wanted it to. Planting the wild version in dense soil, like clay, can help slow down its spread a lot. I have had a similar experience with the spiderworts. The cultivars behave very well, and the wild ones can be contained in clay soil, or by growing them in a shady spot. The main problem I have with the spiderworts is their fertility, but I just dig up the seedlings and move them where I want them.

-Greg

Huntington Beach, CA(Zone 10a)

I was given a few plantlets last year and they grew to about 2 ft. and looked lovely. This year they have come back with several more plants and they just kept getting taller and taller. Most of them are about 5 ft. tall, but there are a few that are over 6 ft. tall, almost 7 ft. Is this a normal height for these plants?

I took this picture yesterday, after reading this thread. I had my DH pose next to them to show you the height. The one next to him has it's base about 6" lower than were he is standing. The tallest one is to the left of my Ti plant, it is growing up into the branches of the buddleia, it's base is even lower than the other one.

Donna

Thumbnail by SoCal
Marietta, GA(Zone 7b)

Nice!! I'm getting some of these plants :)

Susan

Niceville, FL(Zone 8b)

Oh my gosh. That is spectacular.

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

rylaff...is the large leaved plant behind your obediant flower a Canna?

Niceville, FL(Zone 8b)

It is a ginger. I have gingers all over the place. They are one of my favorites. Dont know which one yet, it hasnt bloomed this year yet.

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

I have the lavender ones that spread all over if anyone is interested. ;)

New York, NY(Zone 7a)

Bluestone carries several Obedient Plant cultivars, including a new white called "Miss Manners" because it's said to be less invasive. I call my regular white, which I got from them years back, "Disobedient Plant", because it took over most of a bed in my (tiny) old garden.) Palest pink would be nice.

Vancouver, WA(Zone 8b)

I have had 'Miss Manners' in my large border for 3 years...and she is quite easy to control!! Never makes herself unwanted, and is a nice, clean, cool white that really looks nice in August when so many other things are "hot" colored.......If some obedient plants have given you trouble in the past by being a bit of a nuisance, try this one, really a nice plant!!

Jamie

Chapin, SC(Zone 7b)

Why are they called "obedient"?

Leslie

Niceville, FL(Zone 8b)

I have wondered that myself.

Rockford, IL(Zone 4b)

I have "summer snow" and "vivid" (deep pink, and taller).

They're called obedient because you can change the shape of the flowers and they will stay put.

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Yes..you can bend them anyway you want for an arrangement and that is the way they will stay.

Huntington Beach, CA(Zone 10a)

I didn't know that. I'm going to go out and see how this works. hehe

Denver, CO(Zone 6a)

Be gentle. if not they snap right off!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.