Anyone own hardy Geranium 'Confetti'?

Crossville, TN(Zone 6b)

I have been looking at this perennial for several months at my local nursery. They wanted $12 for a gallon container. I keep waiting for them to reduce the price. They have but when I went to pick one up I noticed all the speckles of white have gone away. Does the plant revert back to the solid green as it ages. I saw them a month ago and it was still variegated. I did not buy it.A waiting any info before I do.
Thanks for any input. Linda

Santa Barbara County, CA(Zone 9a)

At the Terra Nova site http://www.terranovanurseries.com/pages/plantsG1.html
it says that the white "splashes" are brighter in the spring and on new leaves. That makes it sound like the fading of the white isn't permanent, and that in spring (or on new leaves), the white will again be bright. But I don't really know. Hopefully someone out there has grown this plant and can help you more.

Crossville, TN(Zone 6b)

Thanks for the URL. The plant is from Terra Nova. I probably will pass on this one. Linda

northeast, IL(Zone 5a)

I had this plant last year, the leaves are really pretty, and stayed variegated all year. The flowers are OK, pretty typical looking medium pink. I think I paid $15 for a quart container, the plant was from Terre Nova, too. Mine did not survive the winter here, however. maybe it would do OK overwintering in your zone. I have not had any problems overwintering any other hardy geraniums, but this one must be more tender, even though according to Terre Nova it should have been hardy. I noticed that my nursery isn't carrying this one this year. So maybe I'm not the only one who's plant didn't survive.
Deb

Edited to say that the tag that was on the plant I bought last year said hardy to zone 5, the zone has been revised to zone 6. There is a picture of the foliage in plant files that I took last Aug or Sept.

This message was edited Aug 6, 2005 11:25 AM

Crossville, TN(Zone 6b)

Deb,
I wonder why the plant lost its variegation. Here is the correct link: http://davesgarden.com/pf/showimage/64126/
I will keep an eye on it. There were about 8 pots of them left at the nursery.
Linda

Lexington, VA(Zone 6a)

RDT, we've grown 'Confetti' for several years and its variegation does in fact "fade" in the heat of the summer months, much like other variegated plants whose variegation is beautiful in the cooler temps of spring/early summer. However, the abundant petite pink flowers more than made up for its lack of variegation. It's not a robust grower, but rather a more delicate Hardy Geranium that I wouldn't be without in our gardens.

Crossville, TN(Zone 6b)

Thanks rcn. I am on my way to the nursery now to pick up a Primula. I will give it a try. It is unusual which is the reason why it drew me. I have about 6 geranium. This was different. I still have it on my wanted list here on DG. I could have deleted it. Why not be adventurous in a small matter ;O)) Linda

Bolton, Greater Manc, United Kingdom(Zone 8a)

Geranium confetti is a fairly shortlived and not particularly hardy perennial hardy geranium. For best colour it is best planted somewhere cool or slightly shady with good drainage. It is best raised from seed.

Mount Prospect, IL(Zone 5a)

I bought one last year too, but did not come back this spring. I, too, am in zone 5, so thats probably why, though it is a very interesting plant.

I have seed of this geranium. If anyone would like to try some then do email me and i would be all too happy to send you some :)

Mount Prospect, IL(Zone 5a)

Would you please send me a few of the seeds? I'd like to try and see if they would grow. I read about the disaster to your gardens. It's almost too much to bear, all the beautiful plants destroyed. Will you still be selling seeds in your Cottage Garden? Doris

Yes Doris I still have high stocks of seed and as long as they are viable then I will continue to sell them. Will you pm me with your address and i will send you some to try. :)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.