Is this possible?

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

This white lacecap is coming out the middle of my Annabelle. How could this happen?

Thumbnail by levilyla
Santa Barbara County, CA(Zone 9a)

Did you get the lacecap version of Annabelle? It comes in "snowball" and lacecap versions. Here's the link at hydrangeasplus.com: http://www.hydrangeasplus.com/customer/search.php?substring=annabelle

(I hope that link works. If not, go to hydrangeasplus.com and search for annabelle.)

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Thanks for that information..I had no idea that it came in a lacecap...No this is a very old plant of the macrophylla and has never done this before.. Guess it is reverting?

Santa Barbara County, CA(Zone 9a)

Okay, that got me wondering what was going on. I found this topic mentioned at
http://www.vintagegardens.com/cgi-bin/hydrangea.pl?id=3h7d8d4h4f7g
(on the Hydrangea macrophylla lacecaps info page). It says "Lacecaps have been known to sport branches that exhibit the Mophead floral form, and Mopheads to revert to the Lacecap." How odd. I've only heard of hydrangeas reverting to a different color, not to a different form.

Hopefully another DGer who is knowledgeable about hydrangeas will be able to give you the real scoop. The flower in your photo IS pretty -- I hope you like it!

This message was edited Aug 5, 2005 1:10 AM

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

That is an interesting site..thank you very much...I DO like the lacecap...actually better because the big mopheads of this Annabelle fall over so much (probably too much shade for one thing)...It will be interesting to see if it continues to put out more lacecaps next year even though it will look rather strange. I never knew this could happen but you learn something all the time on this site.

Langley, BC, BC(Zone 8b)

I have often read of these things happening in gardens but never actually seen a recent pic. Thanks for posting it.

I do know, though, that if you are careful with your pruning; that branch WILL continue to produce Lacecap flowers, and, if you take cuttings from that branch, the resulting plants will be entirely lacecap.

fun to try, and heaven knows, easy with hydrangeas. I'm not sure how long you have until frost where you are; but here I would go ahead and try a few cuttings indoors just for the heck of it.

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

I am not sure how to start a cutting and there is only one stem that is lacecap..so if I cut that it will be gone.

Langley, BC, BC(Zone 8b)

in that case I too would leave it alone. Starting hydrangea cutting is unbelievably easy; they were the first thing I ever tried, at the time I was trying to kill the parent plant, and instead ended up with 12 of it.

But that is another story.

If your pretty piece of nostalgia continues to develop over the years, (and if you want) I could let you know the way I do it. But the sites recommended above will tell you too.

best of luck

Crossville, TN(Zone 6b)

This is the second time I have heard about a hydrangea blooming white. I listened to a Michigan talk show on the internet yesterday. The caller said the same thing. He was not knowledgeable about the shrub. He bought it this past Spring but the tag showed a blue flower and had flowered as a blue but then this showed up.
If anyone watching and can remember the hosta conversation in that forum where hosta stalks were doing an unusual thing by growing leaves.
In another forum they were talking about the hydrangea doing a white flower also. I can't remember if Pirl ever found the reason behind it. I think I am remembering the conversation correctly. Linda

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

I am not talking about a Hydrangea changing just to white..I am talking about a white Hydrangea developing a lacecap. I would imagine if a blue Hydrangea bloomed white it may be just a very pale pink? Alot of lime or something. I do have Hostas that develop leaves on their flower scapes and well as daylillies. It is not unusuual.

Edmonton, AB(Zone 3a)

Hi All
I am new to Hydranga's and having two types on one plant caught my eye. Thanks for the picture. As I read on it came to talking about the white changing.
I have a Hydranga that blooms white and turns ( over about 8-10 weeks) dark red.
I didn't know that was what it would do till it bloomed white and I was shocked as last year the photo with the plant was dk pink. I got on to the Plant files and looked it up . Sure enough it starts out white and changes. Mine are just starting to change. It is Angels blush or Paniculata"ruby".
I have a photo but I'm learning the digital photo thing and can't get it to come here.
Ann

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

yes, the Paniculata will turn a beautiful pinkish when it dries but not the white macro.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.