Trumpet vine cuttings

Northern Michigan, MI(Zone 5a)

Anyone out there who would be willing to send me a sample of their trumpet vine for postage when they prune or cutback this fall I would greatly appreciate it. I figure that will give me all winter to try to get a nice rooted start for next spring.

Thankyou much

~Julie =0)

Mansfield, TX(Zone 8a)

Julie

I would be happy to send cuttings this fall. The vines are also making seed pods now so i should have plenty of those, too. Are you sure you want these things - they are pretty invasive.

Sharon

I want a hardy fast growing vine for an arched trellis. I'm in northern michigan and would like a perennial vine that flowers.

I've tried clematis in the past but have failed =0( to grow it successfully, and what is growing seems painfully slow, although it could be me and this is my second attempt at trying to grow it.

I had toyed with the idea of a Dr Huey climbing rose but I read so much negativity I was afraid to get one....lol

~Julie =0)

Mansfield, TX(Zone 8a)

The trumpet vines are certainly hardy and grow fast. Mine are on a fence that never gets shade and I never water or fertilize them. Send me your address by dmail and i'll get some to you.

Sharon

Dundee, OH(Zone 5b)

I have babies I would delight in sending you rooted starters if you would rather have that, let me know!!

editing to add that mine are the orangey/red ones, old fashioned, don't know proper name.

~Laurrie

This message was edited Aug 6, 2005 10:17 AM

Dundee, OH(Zone 5b)

large seedpods forming too, can you see the orange, I have a better photo just need to find it.

Thumbnail by OhioBreezy

Hi Sharon.... lol, well they certainly sound hardy enough for me!!! I like the thought of something I may have to work at to kill off.

I wonder though how they are as far as cold hardy... maybe someone from a northern climate will chime in.

~Julie =0)

Hi Laurrie

How does your vine fair thru the winter.... it comes back in the spring with no problems ???

I liked the pic, do they spread via root system or from the pods or both...do you know ? I figure since I was told they are invasive it would help to know a lil more...lol.

Thankyou for the generous offer. I sent you a d-mail. I have a large arched trellis that gets afternoon sun that I would like to cover and hope to entice some of the hummers to visit more!!

~Julie =0)

Dundee, OH(Zone 5b)

Julie
Mine fare very well over winter, have never lost a one........ always comes back each spring.

Mine spread by root and anywhere they get too long of a vine and touch ground, forming roots and take off. I usually keep mine in check, but this year didn't have time to keep them under control with the weed whacker! there are tons out there setting down root.

Got your dmail and sent you a message.

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

I don't know you guys, I have tried to grow 3 of them and they all died. Even tried different places. I was at a garage sale Saturday and they had a gorgeous one. The man broke off a big piece for me. There were 3 nice 18 inch "branches" off of it. I took off the leaes up far enough that I have several leaf nodes and I cut off the blossoms. I have them in a bucket with about 3 inches of water and Superthrive in it.

Now what???? Any suggestions?

Jeanette

Leesburg, VA(Zone 7a)

They can be a bit light in the loafers the first year. Sorry to hear you've had such poor luck with them, Jeanette.

I'm sure there are plenty of people who would PAY to have a backhoe come to their yard, remove their Trumpet Vine and have it delevered to you. Some of the funniest horticultural "horror" stories I've read have been ones about this vine! :o)

Mansfield, TX(Zone 8a)

Bogweed-I know what you mean. Not long ago a lady called one of the radio gardening shows and asked what to do about her trumpet vine and how to control it, and was told the best thing she could do was just move. I don't remember doing anything special when I put mine out years ago, but now they are coming up all over the vegetable garden.

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

There are 2 growing on an apartment building close by. One on each side of the door. Each year they cut them back some but last year they were going to paint the building and cut them wayyyyyyy back. Those babies were about 6 inches through the trunk. They are over the top of the building and blooming beautifully now.

Jeanette

Leesburg, VA(Zone 7a)

Lessons Learned ...

#1: Keep this vine OFF of the house. Plant it on a trellis far, far away from the domocile.

#2: Keep an eye out for seed pods. Clip 'em before teh birds get to 'em.

#3: Keep new shoots/runners off the ground. If there is nowhere direct a shoot, snip it.

#4: In the fall, cut back EVERYTHING except for a main trunk or few.

# Last: Keep an eye on this bugger. Left unattended, they get out of control. Mine is at the far end of a relatively large deck / pergola, so it gets daily attention from the wife and I. Left to their own devices ... well ...

Jab, I have plenty of cuttings that I can send you whenever. The shoots that hit the ground develop roots in about 30 seconds or so (exaggerating, of course, but it [i]does[/i] feel that way sometimes!). You can plant some now and keep a few in pots for the winter, just in case.

BTW (part deux) ... are you trying to over-run the village of Mikado? I noticed that some of the plants you sought out on this site are some pretty notorious varieties.

LOL.... I gave up on the wild purple Loosestrife , although I still think it was the prettiest.

I think I'm drawn to the invasive things because of the hardy factor, figure it stands a much better chance of me not killing it.

I appreciate the tips, in fact I am going to copy and paste them to my files so I don't miss anything !!! I'm almost afraid to plant it now...lol, but I am going to attempt to brave it and see how it goes. I appreciate the offer but I believe I am going to get some rooted babies from OhioBreezy.

Julie =0)

Thankyou again !!!!

Dundee, OH(Zone 5b)

Yep you sure are Julie, my next day off is friday, so look out!!!! I will be getting them ready LOL

~Laurrie

Thanks bunches Laurrie !!!

~Julie =0)

Leesburg, VA(Zone 7a)

Pretty red-heads named Laurie always seem to beat me to the punch!

Julie, me dear, enjoy! Like I said, just keep the T.V. away from the house and snip the seed pods off before they pop open and you'll be in much better shape. In all honetsy, I still love mine ... but alas, perhaps enough time has not transpired for me to learn of its more sinister and evil ways! lol

Dundee, OH(Zone 5b)

LOLOL I think here in the cooler climates, they aren't quite as aggresive, they are, but not as wild as some of the warmer climates.

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

It is illegal to ship purple Loosestrife into the State of Washington. Because it is so invasive. My mom wanted some so bad but there was no way.

Jeanette

Dundee, OH(Zone 5b)

Julie, I just today got me some starts of the loostrife from a friend who has a greenhouse, didn't get it planted yet, but will do it down by the pasture :)

LOL, on the loosestrife.

I found a wild patch of the purple and I've been sooooooooooo good, I just pass by and look longingly at it. Besides which I hate to leave my motorcycle beside the road while I'm down in the ditch diggin around....lol

~Julie =0)

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

Be careful planting it near water. That was the whole thing about Washington state. Guess they think the whole state rains like Seattle. Anyway, my mom swore to them she would not put it near water but they still refused.

Jeanette

Dundee, OH(Zone 5b)

AW that's too bad Jeanette, they are beautiful, could she put it in a large pot or is that also a no-no?

I can see you Julie, climbing back on the bike with plants hanging off the thing!!! LOL

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

Well, my mom passed away a few years back and never did get her Purple Loosestrife. No, when things are taboo, they mean it. And she would only do things legally.

Jeanette

Ashland, NE(Zone 5a)

Can you all tell me..do you plant the seeds in the spring or the fall?

Culpeper, VA(Zone 7a)

How do you all root cuttings of this - in water or a soilless rooting mix?

Leesburg, VA(Zone 7a)

Either will do. Any shoots that have been in contact with the ground for more than a day or two should already have some rootage happening anyhow ... in which case, snip it, move it, water it ... live to regret it! LOL

Juuuuuuuuuuuuust kidding. I just wouldn't want one of these vines in more temperate climes. These guys really go nuts once established.

Carmel, NY(Zone 6b)

Hmmm - that being the case, why can't I get them to root for me in water? Should I try rooting them in soil? Will the seed pods dry for me off the vines? Has anyone started them from seed?

Culpeper, VA(Zone 7a)

Yup - I too have tried rooting them in water with no luck whatsoever.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.