monte negro lilies

Fuquay-Varina, NC(Zone 7b)

This is the second year for these blooms. 7' tall, the smell wafts through the window and fills the house with their fragrance.
Central N.J. zone 7.
How do I propagate?

Thumbnail by CID_SID
Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Hi CID_SID ~ Welcome to DG and the Lily Forum.

Nice pic of your lilies! Here is an excellent article on scaling lily bulbs. http://www.suite101.com/article.cfm/propagation_seed_starting/105602

Hello Moby,
Thankyou for the Hyperlink.
It made good reading, very interesting.
I have printed the article for future reference and will attempt to do something this year.
I have two problems with this scenario, #1 is I have sold the house and will be moving out 10/31/05 and moving to N.or S. Carolina.
#2 is when and how do I lift these 5 plants to take with me? .
I did have six, 2 clumps of three. but one failed to materialize this year, do you have any ideas as to why one would not come back?
Thanks again for your help.
CID_SID

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Ahh...that being the case, I wouldn't worry about the propagation. Near moving time, lift the bulbs with as much soil intact as possible and pot them up. Leave as much stem as is feasible for moving purposes and plant them at your new home.
Perhaps another lily person will happen along with more advice.

Good luck with your move!

Mary

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Oops ~ miss your question the first time around. The one that didn't come up could be due to underground critters (moles/voles). It could also be due to rot but if you have others very close by this seems unlikely.

Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

That should be the perfect time to move your lilies with the least stress to the plants. They're usually harvested for sale in October, and when you dig them you may be pleasantly suprised- since they've gotten so big this year I would bet your bulbs will have reproduced.

Thanks gemini_ sage.
Just returned from a trip to the Carolinas, looking for a place to re-plant the lilies.
No luck this time but will try again when the other half gets back from England.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.