Early Hanover Melon - What is this Worm Eating my Leaves?

Miami, FL(Zone 10b)

Can someone tell me what this is on my melon vines?? What should I treat the plant with? Thanks!!
Flip

Thumbnail by aries44
Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

Don't know, But it looks like some type of caterpilar. Since it is eating the leaves Bt should take care of them.

Miami, FL(Zone 10b)

FD - what does Bt translate to at the local Home Depot? Thanks for your help. You're the melon man!.

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

Bacillus Thuringiensis , kustaki strain. Trade lables are usually Dipel (dust) and Thuricide (liquid). I notice a third brand earlier this year I can't recall the name. some thing that translates to caterpillar killer. This stuff is used by both standard and organic gardeners. It works great on any type of chewing caterpila. Could not grow Brassicas here with out it. Useless on those blasted pickle worms you Floridians export every summer tho. It is a stomach poison, they have to eat some of it.
Edited to add link
http://www.ext.colostate.edu/pubs/insect/05556.html

This message was edited Aug 2, 2005 7:56 PM

Miami, FL(Zone 10b)

Thank you very much. I'll try it today.

Miami, FL(Zone 10b)

FD - one more question - why are the worms on just the cukes and melons but not the watermelons? Any idea?

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

About the only insect that has ever bothered my watermelons is the striped cucumber beetle. Watermelons are pretty pest free. Coons and crows and an occasional foliar disease is pretty much it. Crossing my fingers, that I don't get gummy stem blight. I hope that you can identify that sucker. Pickle worms destroy any summer (july-August) crop of cucumbers and melons (Cucumis). But they bore into the fruit where Bt can't touch them. Don't bother watermelons tho.

Miami, FL(Zone 10b)

Well, that's good news on the watermelons - I don't have coons or crows and actually the Yellow Petites look real good and I have little melons on the Blacktail Mountain. Thanks again

Miami, FL(Zone 10b)

FDill - Does BT need to be applied directly on the caterpillars (on the undeside of the leaf) or can it be sprayed on the top side of the leaf and when the leaf is eaten the caterpillar goes down?? Thanks,
Flip

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

Just dust or spray it on the leaves. It is a stomach poison, they have to eat it for it to be effective.

Miami, FL(Zone 10b)

Thanks FD

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.