Tropical vine ID needed

Jacksonville, FL(Zone 9a)

Can anyone help me ID this vine? I have never seen it bloom (I must have been out of town) but last Fall it had large, tuber like "things" hanging down where what looked like the remains of flowers were. I saved the tubers (?), some of which were 6" long, and planted them this year; they came up looking quite healthy. It is a vigerous grower and tender, it dies back at the slightest cold weather. The person who gave me the start hasn't a clue what it might be. Any ideas?

Thumbnail by ardesia
(Taylor) Plano, TX(Zone 8a)

Looks like one of the discoreas...
there is one that is called "cinnamon vine", and another that forms even larger air tubers called "air potato vine".

A google search on these two, should give you an id.
-T

Thanks for the start, I googled them and those leaves do look amazingly like the Discoreas but the leaves on mine are much larger, some are 10", and the my vines grow a lot longer and sturdier than the typical Cinnamon and the air potato grow. The leaves are so similar however, it must be in that family.

Port Saint Lucie, FL(Zone 9b)

That looks like air potato vine to me and is highly invasive! Almost impossible to get rid of!

Well, which ever one it is, I had to pull it down yesterday as we are having the porch painted and within 10 minutes I developed a serious rash. Although I had touched it before, I usually let the cold weather take it down. This time however, I had armloads of the stuff and I was really sorry afterwards. Benedryl did the trick for me but next year that vine gets the Round Up treatment.

(Taylor) Plano, TX(Zone 8a)

sorry to hear it gave you a rash!
...there are better vines out there anyway, so you can look forward to replacing it with something much better.

Floresville, TX(Zone 9a)

I have the foul air potato vine and it's an awful plant, even though the leaves are pretty. Any missed tubers sprout everywhere and it's a fast grower. Get rid of it while you can!

Interestingly, I have had this vine for four years and it has never spread. Up until this year I just left it to die off when the cool weather came then just cut off the dead vines. This was the first time I pulled it off while it was still growing strong. Don't worry, I will not allow it to grow back next year.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.