Praying Mantis

Laurens, SC(Zone 8a)

I am looking for anyone who might have some praying mantis cases to trade or for SASE this Fall. My yard is FULL of various pests and I would LOVE to have lots of Praying Mantis and/or Ladybugs to eat them!! Thanks!!

Bonnie

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Bonnie,

I used to go walk around some open fields that had a lot of scrub growth looking for P.M. egg-cases. Then I would cut about a 10" piece of the stem it was attached to and bring it home and tie it to some of my plants. Look for them about 3'-4' high on long reeds, scubby shrubs, or any such bushes. The cases are straw colored and about 1"-1 1/2" long. Happy hunting!

In the Spring, I watched as the babies "hatched"--coming out the bottom of the case, each hanging from the one before in a chain.

I do understand that even at this stage, they will start devouring each other.

Now all there is around here are houses and Condos. I miss the farmland that surrounded our house when we first moved here 36 years ago...

Gita

Laurens, SC(Zone 8a)

Guess that is why city folk like me have to BUY PM cases??!! hehehe No such fields available--and no guarantee there would be any even if I spent a whole day in this extreme heat (80 by 8:30 am) looking!! hehehe Thanks anyway! Bonnie

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.