August, Daily Weather, etc. etc!

Long Beach, CA(Zone 10b)

Oh, Marylyn,- I was just kidding. We never even got clouds here. The only swirling water was me forgetingt to turn off the T-tape under the tomato plants!

Moab, UT(Zone 6b)

Daisy, me too. The faucet decided to drip and run down the hose, making one wet spot I didn't want there and the back and forth stopped forthing and flooded another area that didn't need it.

Darn ! when the water decides to flood, why can't it flood something that needs it?? I knew you were kidding... if it actually flash flooded in Long Beach - the WC would be all over it.

We got clouds, a raised humidity level, and no chance of actual rain.

Gordonville, TX(Zone 7b)

Hi 93, lo 68, dp 68, cldy, e3. The low at dawn was 70. Then a popup t-storm in the afternoon w/ much thunder but, merely a trace of rain. Storm collapsed bringing much wind and a temperature drop to 68!!! Flash floods in Cooke County next door to my west. "Very interesting but, STUPID!" (Arte Johnson) Appreciated the cooler temps but, needed that rain.

My Mantis tiller arrived by UPS today. :-)

Arroyo Grande, CA

Headin' for Montana on Thurs via Orcas Island for a wedding. Now, they have some weather in the Northwest. Where we go in Mt, you might have to put on and take off several layers of clothes in just a few hours, several times. Might be 80 one day and snow the next. The fish are supposed to be bitin', but it always seems to happen a week before we get there. Been going there for over fifty years.

To stay true to the thread, it was foggy again today, cleared and came back in.

Long Beach, CA(Zone 10b)

Montana via the Orcas?

Nice..............................

Taylor Creek, FL(Zone 10a)

John, you are going to love it. Aha, You got a new toy!!
Jeremy used one on my plot I planted across the front. It was still pretty rough going because of the Live Oak roots.
Here is a picture of a "Soil Turner" that Blaine had. If you have "Hard soil" this is the trick. The sticker is just his own decoration. That company doesn't make this tool. He uses this, then tills.
Hope you have lots of luck with that Mantis. You lucky rascal!
84.9 °F / 29.4 68% SW at 4.5 mph here. Supposed to rain???
sidney

Thumbnail by sugarweed
Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

LOL Daisy!

Sorry, John. I keep TELLING the rain to come your way, but it never seems to quite make it.

Arroyo Grande, CA

Being one who likes two-lane roads, I am thinking of going via Route 20 across northern Washington. It would be a new route. After fifty some years, we have gone about every other way possible, usually settling for I5,I80, and US95.

Still foggy here, gunna be a while before it clears off. We have had a coupla weeks straight of fog.

L.A. (Canoga Park), CA(Zone 10a)

Same old, same old, except for being woken up by a space shuttle sonic boom this morning. I had no idea what it was until a read the news a few minutes ago. I figured DH must have knocked something over.

On the Olympic Penin, WA(Zone 9a)

Chuck,
Take 20 you will love the drive. Keep an eye on the fires going on now over there. 71 degrees here now

Arroyo Grande, CA

Thanks, I was hoping someone who had done it would answer.

Clear here, but fog is not far away. Very heavy in Pismo and Pacific Pallisades on the way into Sloberg.

Atascadero, CA(Zone 8a)

Just what I wanted to hear Chuck. Heading over your way on Thursday, the day you're heading for Montana. Gonna soak up a week of cool and fog. Same ole, same ole here, 104°, hot, hot, hot. Drove out to the ranch this AM and the grape fields are starting to really show the stress from the unending heatwave here in the valley. Even grapes that love the heat can only take so much. It will be a pleasure to drive into some fog. 8-)))))))

Oh, and have a safe trip Chuck.

Arroyo Grande, CA

Thanks, this place has been really hopping with all the hot weather in the Valley. Quarterdeck, around the corner from me, even had a big wait last night.

Millersburg, PA(Zone 6b)

It was raining when I awoke and rained until noon. Humidity 79. Temps in the low 80's.

When I pulled weeds, I found the ground soaked 1/2 inch down. Below that was dry soil and roots.

When the ground is moistened I will get my Mantis tiller out and grind up the rows where the beans were and plant spinach or turnips.

Watch the video, John, it has to go back and forth to really make a nice job of tilling.(Just like you were vacumming the floor)

Arroyo Grande, CA

I just slam the plants in minimal holes with gopher baskets. No rototillers of any kind or description, but then it is hard even with a small pick to get a hole large enough to put a one gallon plant in it. Rototillers would bounce around.

Fog is back in.

LOL, Chuck! I certainly get a chuckle from your post too.
Wet the ground here and lulled me into a long nap.
sidney

Arroyo Grande, CA

Always was amused about the rigamarole people would go through to plant a plant. Even when I had a retail nursery, I would tell people to spread the planting mix on top of the soil, and not dig a very big hole. Here, all it does is create a bathtub where the plant can drown in the winter rains.

Looks like fog again tomorrow. Heading up I5 on Thurs for about a zillion miles. No fog there.

Gordonville, TX(Zone 7b)

Which of the wiley trout species are you after Chuck? A lake, stream? How about grayling? My best friend has a ranch just outside Gardiner, MT. :-)

Didn't get to play with my Mantis today. :-( Spent the entire day in Sherman doing town stuff. :-( They had a terrific downpour. :-) Got home and there was absolutely nothin' in my rain gauge! :-(

Hi 91, lo 68, dp 68, pc, s1. Just heard on the news that the area has been declared a disaster area due to drought!

John, That's Texas! and Jacksonville many days too.
sidney

Arroyo Grande, CA

The wily Kokanee salmon. Someone added some perch to the lake (Lake Mary Ronan) about seven years ago, so I had to learn to live with them. Not bad eating, I discovered after feeding them to the seagulls, osprey and bald eagles for a number of years. Bald eagles are a little shy, but great fun to watch as they grab the perch in their talons. What a beautiful bird, Osprey are interesting as well.

This is not rocket science or particularly artistic. We use crawdads and corn on a glow hook, but it is great fun and I have been doing it using the same setup in the same place for over fifty years. The last wooden boat departed the scene a year ago, it was the one I had used for several years, and the place has not changed significantly for the last fifty years.

Gordonville, TX(Zone 7b)

Yep, pretty typical for popup type t-storms. The "cap" (high pressure aloft) is coming back so that will be the end of the afternoon storms for awhile.

Arroyo Grande, CA

The grandkids are hooked, so I have done my job. Lotso thunderstorms in Northwestern Montana in a good year. Very dry the last few years. I hope we will be able to barbecue this year, which has not been possible because of fire restrictions, in a couple of past years.

Arroyo Grande, CA

Very foggy this morning.

Temp.84.2 °F / 29.0 °C
Dew Point, 76 °F / 24 °C
Humidity, 76% Chance of afternoon rain 59%
Calm
Sunny right now.
sidney

L.A. (Canoga Park), CA(Zone 10a)

Darius, was my "prediction" right? Did it rain in the Smoky Mountains yesterday?

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Has Darius been in? She wasn't feeling well in chat last night and we did everything except dial 911 for her to get her to go to the ER. I hope she is better today.

Our weather right now is just as predictable as Chuck's.

Quoting:
This afternoon: Partly cloudy with scattered showers and thunderstorms. Highs 90 to 95. South winds 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 40 percent.
Tonight: Partly cloudy. A 20 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms in the evening. Lows in the mid 70s. South winds 5 to 10 mph.

~ Marylyn

Fort Pierce, FL(Zone 10a)

I don't know if this is allowed, but I'm copying Darius' posting of this morning over here. I know we all are concerned about her.
Pati

"I'm off to Boone/Blowing Rock to see my mother, but a late start. I had another ER visit last night, with what they think might be a gall bladder attack. Had to go back this morning for an ultrasound since they had no tech on the late shift last night. Have to go back to town (naturally in the other direction than my trip!) to pick up the prescription. Drug store here closes at 8 pm."
Darius

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Oh, good. Thanks, Pati!!

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

Thanks for posting that, Pati. Darius, you take care!

On the Olympic Penin, WA(Zone 9a)

62 degrees and cloudy.

Gordonville, TX(Zone 7b)

Hi 89, lo 68, dp 65, pc, se3. Not very hot or humid. Very strange!

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

Our high was around 91°F today. Around 4:30pm, I went to a coffee shop downtown and attempted to sit out front and read. It was overcast, but it felt suffocating with the high humidity. There was just the slightest breath of a breeze and I sat there sweating bullets, just reading. Only lasted 15 minutes tops, one cup of coffee!

Now:

73 °F / 23 °C and clear
Humidity: 87%
Dew Point: 69 °F / 21 °C
Wind: Calm
Pressure: 29.95 in / 1014 hPa
Visibility: 4.0 miles / 6.4 kilometers

Arroyo Grande, CA

One of the heaviest fogs we have had is drifting in. Could go in and out several times before the night is over. Just about all packed and ready to go.

Chuck, we're going to miss you and the daily Fog report. How long will you be gone? Are you going to leave us at home or are we going fishing too? ;>)
If not, when can we expect you back?
I believe I'll start a new thread so you can post there before your trip. Here it is http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/536490/
Come on over and post there folks.
Please don't leave because the weather is too depressing.
sidney

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.