August, Daily Weather, etc. etc!

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

Yeah, I've always heard it pronounced as verd-ee. Shoot, even the dictionary says that: http://www.answers.com/verde&r=67

Overcast and nice today so far...

wunderground.com says:

Temperature: 75 °F / 24 °C
Mostly Cloudy
Humidity: 64%
Dew Point: 62 °F / 17 °C
Wind: 5 mph / 7 km/h from the ESE
Pressure: 30.20 in / 1022 hPa
Visibility: 10.0 miles / 16.1 kilometers
UV: 6 out of 16
Clouds (AGL): Mostly Cloudy 6500 ft / 1981 m

Weather.com differs a little:

Temperature: 78°F
Cloudy
Feels Like 78°F
Dew Point: 62°F
Humidity: 58%
Pressure: 30.20 inches (falling)
Wind: From the Southeast at 4 mph

Frederick, MD(Zone 6a)

Still hot, but not as bad as yesterday :)

90 °F / 32 °C
Clear
Heat Index: 91 °F / 33 °C
Humidity: 43%
Dew Point: 64 °F / 18 °C
Wind: 4 mph / 6 km/h from the NNW
Pressure: 30.16 in / 1021 hPa
UV: 10 out of 16

Arroyo Grande, CA

Fog was thick but disappeared quickly, gone by 8:30. Chipped for about four hours, slowly making progress on the weeds and cutting back everything. Few more days, which I do not have before I leave it would be almost presentable. Since it is a "wild" garden, it does not have to be manicured, just the weeds cannot be taller than the plants.

Savannah, MO(Zone 5b)

n.w. Missouri : Hot, humid, and dry. Most areas need rain and July ended about 2 inches behind. A short lived cold front has ended without wide spread rain.
Temps are around 90 and will inch up toward the mid 90's in a few days.

DOG DAYS OF SUMMER ARE HERE

Taylor Creek, FL(Zone 10a)

Had a great little downpour just a minute ago and it's noisy out.
I have been the demise of a thousand little mimosas today and may decide to do another thousand after dark.
One can live comepletely "grown in" if you just let the Mimosas, Chinaberry, Virginia Creeper, Boston Ferns, Lantana and Spider Wart go. They are my weeds.
I am letting 4 Mimosas grow a year for some friends.
sidney

Starkville, MS

Sidney - should you ever actually run out of Mimosas, Chinaberry, Virginia creeper, Lantana, or Spiderwort, and have a change of heart - I can resupply you in a heartbeat!!!!! Don't have an overload of Bosto fern, so you're on your own for that!

ginni

Millersburg, PA(Zone 6b)

Clear 69.1 °F / 20.6 °C
Clear
Humidity: 86%
Dew Point: 65 °F / 18 °C
Wind: Calm
Wind Gust: 0.0 mph / 0.0 km/h
Pressure: 30.16 in / 1021.2 hPa (Rising)
UV: 0 out of 16
Clouds (AGL): Clear -

Good weather for vacationers. Local corn is spiky and drying in the fields.

L.A. (Canoga Park), CA(Zone 10a)

We went to the beach today (Carpinteria - Santa Barbara County). Was sunny and around 74F. According to buoy data, water temperature out in the channel is 64F. At home, same old, same old high 90s.

Here is a picture of a southern CA beach beauty.... O.K... Maybe not.....

Thumbnail by Kelli
Long Beach, CA(Zone 10b)

GO DODGERS!!!!!!!!!

Moab, UT(Zone 6b)

Kelli, the beach was beautiful wasn't it?
Looks perfect in that view. You looking pretty happy there.
didja find any neat rocks? I can't just walk the beach hafta comb it.

this desert rat is in need of an ocean fix.

Gordonville, TX(Zone 7b)

Wish I was there! 11am 90, dp 69, pc, no wind.

Sunny and 86º here, too hot to be going to the beach here.
Humidity is down to 63%, but afternoon storms are approaching from the west.
sidney

No, no good rocks at Carpinteria. There are rocks, but I've seen so many that I've become picky in what I keep. The best beach I've been to for stones is at Cambria (just south of Hearst Castle), but that is too far away for a day trip.

Feels kinda humid here today, but maybe that's just because it is morning. Wunderground says,
8:51 AM PDT on August 07, 2005
75 °F / 24 °C
Humidity: 64%

DH was looking at the newpaper and said, "It might rain on Tuesday." I said, "In the Smoky Mountains maybe."

LOL, Kelli!

Gordonville, TX(Zone 7b)

It might not rain here today but, then again, it might. 93, dp 68, pc, se2.

Back to Carpinteria - what Carpinteria does have is tar. It's been there for ages and isn't the result of offshore drilling or anything like that. Carpinteria is Spanish for something like carpentry place. About 200 years ago, the Chumash Indians built boats here. They split logs into planks and sewed them together and waterproofed them with tar. The black "rock" formation in this picture is actually a mound of tar.

Thumbnail by Kelli

Most of the tar is semi-hard, but sometimes when the sun hits it, it gets oozy. I know this isn't weather, but I figured someone besides myself would find this strange or interesting. If all you know about CA beaches is what you've seen on "Baywatch", you don't know nuthin'. ;-)

Thumbnail by Kelli
Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

*waving at Kelli* - nice to see you! :) That's wild - I never knew that about the tar.

We spent the night at our friends' and the house was stuffy and warm enough upon our return that we've battened down the hatches and put the A/C back on, *sigh*. It's quite warm in the house despite it being in the 80's - the sun beats down on the brick and it gets pretty warm on bright days.

Updated: 12:54 PM EDT on August 07, 2005
Observed at Newark Heath, Ohio
83 °F / 28 °C and clear
Heat Index: 84 °F / 29 °C
Humidity: 49%
Wind: Calm
Pressure: 30.12 in / 1020 hPa
UV: 11 out of 16

Frederick, MD(Zone 6a)

Can August just be over soon? same old, same old. Hot, sticky, humid. We don't even grill until about 8:00 pm when it starts to cool down a bit :)

Updated: 2:02 PM EDT on August 07, 2005
Observed at Frederick, Maryland
Elevation: 302 ft / 92 m
90 °F / 32 °C
Clear
Heat Index: 95 °F / 35 °C
Humidity: 52%
Dew Point: 70 °F / 21 °C
Wind: 5 mph / 7 km/h from the South
Pressure: 30.15 in / 1021 hPa
Visibility: 7.0 miles / 11.3 kilometers
UV: 10 out of 16

Come on September !!!

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

Kelli, it will indeed rain!

Quoting:
... "It might rain on Tuesday." I said, "In the Smoky Mountains maybe."

Moab, UT(Zone 6b)

wonder if that's a vein from the Tar Pits in downtown LA?

61* this am only 88* right now
and the clouds are building for late afternoon thunder bumpers.

This is a pattern of weather we haven't seen in at least 7 years and it is a welcome return to what we thought of as 'normal'.

Long Beach, CA(Zone 10b)

83 here, under a flash flood watch but it won't happen in the LBC. I hope that it gets to Kelli at least! It looks little but angry due east of Palm Springs at the mo.

We went to El Capitan state beach north of Carpenteria in April and we had to keep baby oil in stock because the kids were covered head to toe in tar. Boogie boards, clothes, shoes bodies- ugh.

Palm Coast, FL(Zone 9a)

We just got in and passed through torrential rains in St. Augustine, and the lightning show was a bit intimidating!

Humidity 64%
Dewpoint 72° F
Feels like 95o right now

Savannah, MO(Zone 5b)

Temps are pushing toward or at the mid 90's. Sunny, hot ,humid(but not oppressive) today. I don't farm(but of course I garden and grow a lot) but our farmers need some wide spread rains now. A welcomed relief would be a good summer rain and cooler temps soon. I can't hold my breath that long waiting on rain so I'll just keep watering some things. Like Dea says "Come on September!". Many areas are in much worse shape than n.w. Missouri so I've heard.

Gordonville, TX(Zone 7b)

Popup storms nearby. Hi 97, lo 70, dp 69, cldy, no wind, no rain, no tar. One more month till cooler times here. Second week of September.

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

Don't bet on it this year, John.

Starkville, MS

Keep a positive attitude John, think RAIN!!!!

Gordonville, TX(Zone 7b)

Temp is down to a rain cooled 76 w/some thunder but, no rain.

Millersburg, PA(Zone 6b)

It has been two weeks - BUT it rained! Passing thunderstorm began dropping those big fat drops and kept it up until we got 1/2". Temps in high 70's and humid but WET!!!

Savannah, MO(Zone 5b)

se_eds It is great you got some moisture and maybe you can do a rain dance for our part of the midwest!!! Glad you got some rain in your area back east.

John, you always crack me up. Had thunder enough to scare me inside for a while. Then I was back out for some weeding.
No rain, no tar.
Gonna eat ice cream.
sidney

Arroyo Grande, CA

Foggy, cleared and now foggy again. Big surprise, huh.

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

LOL, Chuck! Biiig surprise. ;)

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

I remembered to run the sprinkler this morning, so it will probably rain. LOL I'll try to head it your way, John. ;-)

On the Olympic Penin, WA(Zone 9a)

78 degrees here on the Olympic Peninsula (2 pm )

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

For some reason, it feels warmer than it is out there today. I need to just keep my butt outside more often. I've been inside too much!

Clear 86 °F / 30 °C
Heat Index: 85 °F / 29 °C
Humidity: 36%
Dew Point: 56 °F / 13 °C
Wind: 9 mph / 15 km/h from the SE
Pressure: 30.10 in / 1019 hPa
UV: 8 out of 16

Millersburg, PA(Zone 6b)

Overcast and wet most of the day. Rained last night and early this AM. When I went weed pulling I found the ground was wet 1/2 inch deep.

Small flowers, small tomatoes, - some years are like that.

Long Beach, CA(Zone 10b)

Guess what? I didn't drown. Big suprise, huh?

I mean it was scary for a bit here with the swirling water just below the window sills but whew, flash floods disappear as soon as they come.

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Yikes, Daisy! I'm glad you are ok! We had a big thunderstorm with lots of rain. Our power was out for about 4 hours, which was an adventure with two toddlers. LOL Our older one, who is 4, is now VERY appreciative of lights!

~ Marylyn

No post from John today? Hope he didn't dry-up and blow away.
Same ole story here. Find yesterdays post and re-read.
We've lots of thunder, no wet.
sidney

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.