My Containers......

Mirpur (A.K), Pakistan(Zone 9b)

I have lots of my collection in containers, as my father love to have hens and they are great enemy of plants , so I love container gardening but now all the hens are dead and I am planning my new garden. Here are few photos of containers and ground for future garden.
Kaleem

Thumbnail by gumlla

More containers.

Thumbnail by gumlla

More

Thumbnail by gumlla

Hen cage.... but hens are always out of this.

Thumbnail by gumlla

And my future garden will be here.

Thumbnail by gumlla

And here is full view. My grass man is already pulling out weeds.
Kaleem

Thumbnail by gumlla

And last shot.
Kaleem

Thumbnail by gumlla
Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

Wonderful container gardens, Kaleem! Could you please send your grass man to Alaska for a couple weeks. He would certainly find plenty of work in my yard!

Edmonton, AB(Zone 3a)

Gumlla
What a wonderfull space you have to garden. With all your experience in container gardening you will have tons of fun with the bigger space. Isn't it funny how our animals change our gardening habits and we manage to work around them anyway.
My inlaws used to keep Guinea fowl to eat the bugs in their veggie patch and they didn't touch the plants but I know how destructive chickens can be to greens from my farm experience.
I am looking forward to seeing photos of your new garden,
Ann

WZ
Peppers.... yes these are peppers and I plant them where .......? yes the lilium bulbs you sent me were also there before these pepper plants. The seeds of these peppers sent me Ursula and these are very unique because plant size is more then three feet and no blooms.
Ann
Thank you so much, I will post more photos when I will complete my garden.
Kaleem

Thumbnail by gumlla
Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

Lovely pepper plants... I hope you get many blooms soon, and many peppers!

Kentwood, LA(Zone 8b)

Hi Kaleem,
I am late in seeing this but I can make a suggestion about the pepper plants. Plant all seeds according to the Almanac. The moon phases determine when to plant above ground and root crops. If you don`t have a Almanac I will be glad to give you the planting days for the month. Also there is days that you can transplant without much harm to plants and days to plant flowers for more blooms.

If a plant making its fruit above ground (peppers, tomatoes, beans,ect.) and you plant the seed on a root crop day all you will get is beautiful foilage.

busybee
I dont know about Almanac, please send me if you have any chart. I want to have more flowers , blooms and peppers.
Kaleem

Kentwood, LA(Zone 8b)

This is for August:
Above-ground crops:4,9,10,11,12,13,16,17.
Root-crops: 2,3,20,21,25,26,30,31.
Transplant: 4-11.
Seed beds: 2,3,4,12,13,30,31.
Flowers: 2,3,4,9,10,11,30,31.
Kill plant pest: 1,2,3,4,5,14,15,28,29,30.
Set eggs: 13-26.

This Almanac is for the states of Georgia, Alabama, Louisiana, Arkansas, Texas, Tennessee, Virginia, Florida, North Carolina, South Carolina, Mississippi, Kentucky, West Virginia.

Hope this helps. A lot of people don`t bother about planting by the moon phases but a simple test of planting a couple of seed (say peppers on the above-ground sign) then a couple of pepper seed on a root crop sign and compare foliage and yeild.

This chart dosen`t mean that plants will not grow on the wrong sign of the moon but for maximum performance plant on the appropriate sign.

Rutland , MA(Zone 5b)

such wonderfujl pictgures of your containers. keep up the good work.

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 4a)

You've done a fantastic job with your containers, Kaleem! Thanks for posting pictures of your yard.
:) Donna

busybee
Thank you so much for the Calender, In future I will keep in mind and as in this.

HERBIE43
Donna
Thank you so much , here are few more photos.
Kaleem

Thumbnail by gumlla

Lady Palm

Thumbnail by gumlla

Banboo Palm

Thumbnail by gumlla

Pony tail palm.

Thumbnail by gumlla

Unknown Palm

Thumbnail by gumlla

Again Unknown Palm

Thumbnail by gumlla

E.E

Thumbnail by gumlla

Begonia

Thumbnail by gumlla

Top view

Thumbnail by gumlla
Winnipeg, MB(Zone 4a)

Everything looks so healthy. You must have to water alot. The leaves on the begonia are huge. I thought for sure before reading what it was that it was an elephant ear.
:) Donna

Kentwood, LA(Zone 8b)

I love the giant begonia. Do you have a photo of the blooms.are they extra large too?

Remind me and I will send you the planting guide dates for the rest of the year.

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

Kaleem, are the large pots expensive there? Here in the US, we are always looking for bargains on them, as they can cost more than the plant we are potting.

busybee
Thank you so much for Calender and I will remind you for the remaining. This Begonia sent me Dasiy last year then this was a very small start but now.....
Leaves are very big, healthy and beautiful, may be this year I will have blooms and then will post photos again.

WZ
Clay containers are very cheap here, the biggest one in the photo is of 4UD$ and smaller are from half to two Dollars.
Bargaing is necessary during purchasing any thing here also.
Kaleem

Thumbnail by gumlla
Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

Lovely photo! I thought they were probably reasonable there. Here in the US, the cost of large pots is great enough that many of us use recycled plastic containers, etc... not as lovely as your clay pots. Bargaining is seldom an option here, unless something is damaged.

Fort Pierce, FL(Zone 10a)

Kaleem, just found this thread and am just lost in admiration for your beautiful containers and courtyard! How lovely and peaceful.
Pati

New York & Terrell, TX(Zone 8b)

busybee,

My eyes are still fuzzy from an infection in both eyes, Where did you get that Almanac info from?

~* Robin

Kentwood, LA(Zone 8b)

So sorry about your eyes, Robin. Take good care of them.
The info came from the Grier`s Almanac 2005. I also have a Farmers Almanac which gives the same info. You should be able to get them at your local pharmacy or feed store. They are usually put out just before the 1st of the new year with new calenders.LSU Ag Center also puts out a monthly horticulture hints which has all the info to plant, prune, spray,fruit trees, nuts, roses ect. All of these are free. There is a Almanac that you can order which is $6.00 for 2 or 3 years.

This info is on the web; same as in the book. Different than your info.

Farm and Garden Bulletin, August 2005

1 - any seed planted now will tend to rot.

2-3-4 first and second days most favorable for planting beets, onions, turnips and other root crops. third day fine for planting beans, tomatoes, corn, cotton, cucumbers, peppers, melons and other aboveground crops. plant seed beds and flower gardens.

5-6-7-8 a barren time. best for killing weeds, briars, poison ivy and other plant pests. clear woodlots and fencerows.

9-10-11 good days for planting aboveground crops. excellent for sowing grains, winter wheat, oats and rye. plant flowers.

12-13 plant peas, beans, tomatoes, peppers and other aboveground crops in southern florida, california and texas. extra good for leafy vegetables. plant seed beds.

14-15 cut winter wood, do clearing and plowing but no planting.

16-17 a good time to plant aboveground crops.

18-19 barren days, fine for killing plant pests.

20-21 favorable days for planting root crops, fine for vine crops.

22-23-24 barren days, do no planting.

25-26 root crops that can be planted now will yield well.

27-28-29 any seed planted now will tend to rot.

30-31 most favorable days for planting beets, onions, turnips and other root crops. plant seed beds and flower gardens.
http://www.farmersalmanac.com/gardening/gardening.html

Edited to add this is info from them too:
August 2005, Best Days

• Bake 3, 9-11, 16, 17
• Can Fruits and Vegetables 2, 3, 20, 21, 30, 31
• Dry Fruits and Vegetables 22, 23, 24
• Jams and Jellies 19, 25, 26
• Cut Firewood 4-18
• Cut Hair 9-11, 14, 15, 18-21
• Mow to Increase Growth 4-18
• Mow to Retard Growth 1-3, 19-31
• Castrate Farm Animals 14-21
• Harvest 1-3, 26-31
• Prune Trees 16, 17
• Wean 14-21
• Hunt 4-11
• Fish Mornings: 18, 30, 31 Evenings: 19-21
• Quit a Habit or Smoking 1, 19, 22-24, 27-29

~* Robin

This message was edited Aug 9, 2005 8:59 PM

Kentwood, LA(Zone 8b)

I would like to have the link where you found this. I like all the extra ones you listed. I never knew there was a time to hunt. Your dates are the same as the ones I listed.Above ground, root crops, flowers ect. The best sign for castrating an animal is Pisces, which is in the feet therefore little or no bleeding when the animal is cut. Dehorning is done in Pisces too. The water sign is the worst time to dig irish potatoes because they tend to rot faster and will not keep in storage.
I love all the saying in there too. I imagine everyone has dug a hole and had too much or not enough dirt to fill it back in. This is a result of the moon also. Older generations knew these things from experience and info being passed down to them. For the ones that aren`t sure about the planting on the right sign should plant a tomato seed on a root crop day just to see what a gorgeous fruitless bush they will have.

Farmers Almanac Best Days of the Month: http://www.farmersalmanac.com/bestdays/bestdays.html

~* Robin

Thank you Patti
Here is next step of my garden........grass seeds are in the bed.....lots of water daily...
Kaleem

Thumbnail by gumlla

Seeds are germinated and here is photo....
Kaleem

Thumbnail by gumlla

Now next bed is ready for sowing seeds....
Kaleem

Thumbnail by gumlla
Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

What are you growing in your new garden plots, Kaleem?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.