Growing a Gardenia in a container

Mars, PA

I recently purchased a nice, large, healthy gardenia. I have left it in it's original container and placed it where it gets good morning sun and mostly afternoon shade. While it is continuing to grow new leaves, no buds in sight! think I did actually have one flower a month ago! I know these plants are tempermental, but how can I get some buds. More fertilizer...less? More sun...less? More water...less? I Does cussing help? I've had it. Thanks for any recommendations. Elizabeth K.

Collinsville, VA(Zone 7b)

You don't say what zone you're in, but if my guess is right, it's probably too hot right now. Gardenias like cool nights to set buds--in the 60s, in my experience. May not be hardy in your area, either, so you may have to provide some winter protection for it. They're marginal here, especially in a container, so I have to do that.

HTH,
Barbara

Ridgecrest, CA

Elizabeth,
I have the same problem. I did repot mine in a biger plastic container and it continues to grow pretty green leaves but I have only had one flower that didn't last long. As soon as July (in the CA desert ) hit 100-116 degrees no more flowers from it. I just created a shade area and I will be moving it there until fall. Hopefully by then I will get more flowers.

Sandra

Mars, PA

I just b rough mine inside. I have it in a sunny spot...we will see.. I am thinking of growing it under lights in the winter and hoping for the best! Liz

Jonesboro, GA(Zone 7b)

Patience! Not sure but I beleive that gardenias need to be a certain age before they will start flowering. They also are seasonal bloomers - here in zone 7b, they bloom in June and July- then they only have a few sproadic blooms the rest of summer. They do like plenty of sun. A shot of "Super Bloom" might be in order, but it may not bloom until next year. I just finished pruning mine back to shape them and remove all the old blooms.

Mars, PA

Well, now that it has cooled off in Pittsburgh, I put my gardenia out again. I added some Miracle Acid and a few weeks later, some coffee grounds (suggestion from Trowel and Error). So I guess I need to bring it in before it freezes here and then bring it out right after the last freeze in Spring. During the winter, should it be in a very sunny south window? Should I feed it at all, keep it barely moist, or water as usual? We had a hot summer, so next year when it's in the 90's, should I shade it outside or bring it into the airconditioned house until it cools off??? I'm confused.

Austin, TX(Zone 8a)

i have my gardenia in a pot. bought it just this year at lowes. it was in bloom when i bought it in april, but stopped when the weather got hot. i anticipate another round of buds soon though now that cooler weather is around the corner. i've read gardenias will only bloom when the night temps are in the 50's...

Orange, CA(Zone 10b)

Mine are begining to bloom after a serious infestation of mealy bugs. Our night temp has only been in the mid-60's.

I've found that mine likes evenly moist soil but not soggy. It seems to tolerate filtered sun or late afternoon sun. Mine is an older plant (4 y.o.) so I can let the soil go dry for a day or two and it's been okay, too. But, I think younger plants need more coddling. Miracid is good but check the pH to be sure.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.