Acorn squash

Tri-Cities, WA(Zone 7b)

I am growing Scarchuk's Supreme which is an acorn type squash, and according to the description it is cream colored with dark green stripes when mature. Since the squash gain this coloration very soon after swelling, how do I know when they are ready to pick and eat? I've never grown any acorn squash before. Thanks.

(Note that that is a young pumpkin on the left, from a different plant.)

Thumbnail by tropicalaria
Everson, WA(Zone 8a)

most acorns can be eaten like summer squash if you chose but i never do that just let the skin toughen and the stem get dry and hard. 80 days or so from transplant should do it to. Ernie

Thumbnail by eweed
San Antonio, TX(Zone 8b)

Is that a tree frog or a toad on the hydrangea (which is absolutely gorgeous, BTW)?

Fritch, TX(Zone 6b)

what a nice looking acorn Squash!

nice frog too :-)

Everson, WA(Zone 8a)

tropicalara that looks like a delicata squash wonder if they are in the same family?

Yuska it is a tree frog

Tamara wonder how long before he is big enough to eat lol.

About half of my squash most of these are summer types but there are some acorns and butternuts in there as well. Yesterday I harvested yellow crooked neck and ttwo colors of both patty pans and zucks had some steamed with garlic salt and a splash of lemmon yum yum. Ernie

Thumbnail by eweed
Fritch, TX(Zone 6b)

mmm. try dicing it with parsley, basil, olive oil, & mozz cheese!

Tri-Cities, WA(Zone 7b)

Yes, I believe it was originally a selection of delicata. I suppose I should have mentioned that in the first post.

So, I'm just looking for a tough skin and a dry stem?

Fritch, TX(Zone 6b)

yes, will probably be ready when the weather cools down. if you pick the first one too soon, you'll know for the rest!

Dayton, WA

Since we're on the subject of Acorn Squash, can any of you experts tell me which cultivar is the bush or compact variety? Also, where to buy the seed?

Tri-Cities, WA(Zone 7b)

I don't grow any bush varieties of squash; no reason to do so.

This message was edited Aug 2, 2005 10:48 AM

Dayton, WA

Thanks Farmerdill for that information. I think I have grown the Table King bush before many years ago...just forgot the name of it. If I remember correctly, the yield was surprisingly good for such a compact plant. Really appreciate your help!

San Jacinto County, TX(Zone 8a)

Acorn Squash;
-
Here is a pic, acorn on tha vine and same picked on top of butternut.
It was a vine type, so maybe its a 'Table Queen'
Don't remember! I usually buy bulk but this was a packet from wally-world.

When it first developed it was small and plain green.

I might jus have to try O'Toole out for a couple of their winter squash...Interesting. Can't go wrong fer a dollar ya know:
http://405.scifstore.com/module/store/

Thumbnail by heycharlie
Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

Lettuceman, back in the early 50's I grew acorns for market. Surprise, I got better production from the bush types.Got the seeds from Burpee, but can't recall the cultivar. Seemed more resistant to foliar diseases and vine borers. Don't grow more than a half dozen hills anymore, but still prefer the bush types.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.