July 30th, 2005

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

It is still hot and dry here for the most part. The temps have been a bit better here the last fews days but they is suppose to go up again soon.

I'm picking green beans by the handsful tho they are the long asparagus beans so a handful is almost too much for a meal. I guess I'll just give away some to co workers. There aren't enough to can and we don't care for frozen g.beans. I only have about 5 plants out there and they really aren't doing that well. The tomatoes are just beginning to ripen a few at a time. There are dozens of green ones out there tho. A friend says her tomato plants are done for the season. I recommended Miracle Grow to revive them but I think she is tired of them by now. She had something like 80+ plants. The garlic did pretty well this year. I didn't have much planted. I need to refill the one bed where I had most of them. It has settled a lot this season.

Not much going on here. Just the usual except that we are collecting bids to get the house painted. I think we will select the painter next week. Hopefully get the work done in Sept. Only one has said the 7 colors will not be a problem. One bid came from 2 younger men who would also do some repair work and their bid would have built a small building! If I can get them to break down the bid into what they would charge for each task they may be in the running for the painting job. We know there is a lot of work just to prep the house for painting. It is a large house- about 90' X 35' and has 5 peaks. Lots of windows-25 I think. I am eager to get someone signed up to do it but know we should wait until the terrible heat is over so the paint won't blister and bubble.

I need to make the top runways for the kitchen stove and one cabinet so the 2 degus can once again get out of their cages and get more exercise. Marion has decided she likes to jump off the stove and run free. The other day Rachel did it too. I have reflector panels from floresant lights that I will cut and attatch to the top of the stove and cabinet that will block off the open space they use to jump off. I don't let them out often but moving the stove and cabinet out each time to catch them is getting old.

GOD bless and keep each of you.

This thread has 4 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!