Autumn Chutney

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

I got this from one of my books on preserves, and sent it to another DG member. Thought I'd post it here. I have not made this, but it sounded good!

Autumn Chutney

Bringing together the fruits of the orchard – apples, pears and plums – this chutney can be made in the fall and put by for serving with cheeses in later months.

Makes about 6 cups (half-pints)

2 pounds plums, pitted and finely chopped
1 pound each pears and cooking apples, cored and cut into chunks without peeling
1-1/2 cups raisins,
1-1/2 cups onions, very finely chopped
finely grated peel and juice of 1 orange
2-1/2 cups cider vinegar
1-3/4 cups warmed light brown sugar (warmed in oven on low until warm, not hot)
1/4 teaspoon each ground cinnamon, ground ginger and ground cloves

Put the fruit, raisins, onions, orange zest and juice and vinegar in a large saucepan and bring to a boil, then simmer for about 45 minutes until the fruit is tender.

Over low heat, stir in the warmed sugar and spices until the sugar has dissolved. Then simmer, stirring occasionally, until the chutney is thick and there is no free liquid.

Ladle the chutney into warmed, clean, dry jars, taking care not to trap any bubbles. Cover with acid-proof lids, seal and process in a water bath for 10 minutes.

Store in a cool dark place at least 2 months before eating.

This thread has 4 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!