Tree and Shrub list

Saint Helen, MI(Zone 5a)

I am getting ready to order the following tree & shrubs seeds. Anybody have any thoughts or experiences with them?

Acers are maples
Acer carpinifolium
Acer japonicum 'Aconitifolium'
Acer negundo var. elegans
Acer platanoides Faassen's Black
Acer platanoides Schwedleri
Acer pseudoplatanus 'Purpurascens'
Acer shirasawanum var. aureum
Amelanchier are service berries
Amelanchier alnifolia
Amelanchier canadensis
Amelanchier stolonifera
Fagus sylvatica 'Purpurea' (Purple Beech)
Morus alba 'Tatarica' Russian Mulberry
Myrica pensylvanica (Bay Berry)
Phellodendron amurense (Amur Cork Tree)
Rubus parviflorus (Thistle berry)

Chatham-Kent, ON(Zone 6a)

A lot of Acers are stubborn / difficult from seed ; my 20 year old amelanchier has never produced seedlings from fruit dispersal ; there are usually a lot of hollow seeds in Beech ( nature's little trick to fool the critters ) ; some morus species can prove to be invasive so choose carefully ; the cork tree is ultra easy and fast growing from seed .

Palmyra, VA(Zone 7a)

According to T&M seeds germination database, Acers take 30-365 days to germinate or even longer.

Philadelphia, PA(Zone 6b)

I'll ditto the above comments with Acers. The ones which seem the easiest for me have been the Japanese maples, which germinate in droves under the parent tree, although I don't have any experience with anything on your list. I think I remember reading that Acer seeds also do not store well and need to be planted ASAP within one season or they dry out.
Trish

Saint Helen, MI(Zone 5a)

I must say that I am also concerned about the acers. My thinking is that if I spend $50 or $60 on acer seeds I have a chance at getting a few of each. Also, the kind I am planning to buy are hard to find and if I can find them it would probably cost $50-$60 for 3 or maybe 4 small ones. No?

The morus I hope "take over" as I am planting them for wildlife.
Please tell me more about the Amelanchier.
I am planning on buy 1/4 to 1/2 pound of beech seed. Think thats enough?

BTW I am looking forward to spring and trading seedlings with everyone.

You must insure the acer seed is fresh to stand a chance for germination ; is that possible ??? If so , go for it !! :)
Morus will take over for sure and you will regret it ; I destroy everyone that sprouts up . Pin cherry or black cherry feed the wildlife and are more readily controllable .....and at least the wood is decent to burn .
Amelanchier is a very desirable small tree / shrub that is beautiful to look at in spring and fall ...with a bonus of nice tasting berries ( if you can beat the birds to them :) )It is one of my many fav small trees :))))
You will need that many beech seedlings to get any germination because of Mother Nature's hollow trickery .
Happy Growing !!! :)

Saint Helen, MI(Zone 5a)

The acers seeds are from this year and stored in a fridge. Good enough?
We have wild cherry all around and everyone has disease. and they come up everywhere! The tent catapillers like'em alot too.
Any guess on how many seedling 1/4 pound of beech seeds will produce?
My thoughts on spending money on seeds are:
1) Better odds that the lottery, which by the is like $80 million for sat.
2) If I spent the money on a fancy resturant and/or bar. The fun would only last a night and I would only end up fatter and drunk. LOL! BTW I don't drink.
3) It teaches my little garden buddy (my 5yrs old daughter) about nature. TOTALLY PRICELESS!
4) Everyday I look in the seed tray is like christmas.
5) The seeds provide MIGHT provide 100's of years of joy to the world and me!!!!! mostly me and my garden buddy!

MOIST storage for the acer is the way to go @ 40F ; PLEASE REFER TO THE DIRR BOOK FOR MORE SPECIFICS :))
Well if you do not like the wild cherry trees , you certainly will not like the morus . Morus gets the same problems , it is more invasive , and the wood is trash .
So betweeen the morus , the juglans , and the prunus there should be tons of tent catterpillars ;)
Go for the beech !!! :) It depends on the year for viablility ...according to the pros , viability is only good every 4 or so years to fool the wildlife . THis may be your lucky year ???
If you are feeling lucky , BUY the lottery ticket and put my name on it please ;)) hee hee.... Rock On !! :)

Philadelphia, PA(Zone 6b)

Hi Sari,
I was going through my favorites here and I forgot I had this database. You may find it very helpful for your Acer sowing:)
Trish
http://www.anet-chi.com/~manytimes/page64.htm

Macroom, Ireland

I'm going to be really suprised if your Purple Beech seed gives you more than 5% purple seedlings, most are going to be ordinary Fagus sylvatica. There are about 4,000 seeds in a Kg. You will have to do the maths, I can't find a calculator, but in my head I figure about 450 in a quarter of a pound.

I think that the general rule for tree seed from temperate climates is:- Never let it dry right out and store it cool until you sow it. However, some seed needs some months of stratification at room temperatures to mature, then a period of chilling.

Valley Head, WV(Zone 5a)

Sari, I love your reasoning on spending money on seeds! My thoughts exactly.

Plato, MO(Zone 5a)

-K-...
My head is rolling !!! All I wanted to know is,what does a hazel nut tree/nut look like??
I can't find a picture!!! i've gotta help Sari save some Money!!! Help!!!
Kimdc

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.