Mendy, what am I going to do with you???

Cedar Rapids, IA(Zone 5a)

You know, some people keep a secret along time...

mgh (Mendy) was new to DG in 2004 and my iris secret trading pal. She sent me some nice old purple iris , but wanted to send me more.

When she asked for a list of my historics, I thought she was looking for a trade. Instead, she selected 6 FANTASTIC historic iris for me. They arrived today & you could have knocked me over with a feather! I must say she has incredible taste because I love every single one!

Mendy, I hope you know no good deed goes unpunished.....

Thumbnail by Wandasflowers
Tulsa, OK(Zone 7a)

very nice for very very nice lady .. they are beautiful...

Willamette Valley, OR(Zone 8a)

Uh oh, looks like I'm in trouble now! LOL

I'm so glad you like them, Wanda. I didn't want to duplicate anything you had, so I HAD to have your list! LOL

Like I told Wanda, last year in the secret iris trade she was unfortunate enough to get me, as new as a newbie can be, as a trading partner. LOL I didn't even know what the words fan or cultivar meant. We were supposed to send 1 fan each of 3 different cultivars. I sent her 3 fans of one cultivar. This year I found out that what I sent her was the same iris that most people already have.....you know, the purple one that your grandma gave you. ;-) Then I did some digging and found a thread that had everyone's wish list on it for that secret trade. On Wanda's post she said she had lots of purple ones. Well, what did I send her.....a purple one! LOL With as generous as Wanda is with all her beauties, she deserved something more! :-)

Fayetteville, NC(Zone 8a)

Well, Mendy, looks like you done good this time!

Hagerstown, MD(Zone 6a)

I love Bertha G. where did you get them, I may have to place an order for that one. It's one awesomely (if that's a word) colored iris for an historic.

Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

Wanda, are you aware that she even snuck a couple of arilbreds in on you? LADY MOHR and SHERIFFA are both ABs!

Sand Springs, OK(Zone 7a)

wanda Bertha G.is the pod parent of my iris seedling you have trying to think of daddy and going blank ??

Thanks, 1gardengram! :-)

Elizabethtown, I got them from Superstition Iris. Rick and Roger are very nice (and generous!) people.

Laurie, I didn't even realize they were ABs! LOL

Tazzy, you can't remember who the father is?! Shame on you! LOL ;-)

Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

You sure couldn't have bought them from a more reliable source. Superstition is THE BEST, and they are meticulous about verifying the accuracy of their historic stock.

LADY MOHR (1943) is an OB-, and SHERIFFA (1941) is either an RB- or OGB-. In other words, they're both 1/4 aril arilbreds.

Ok, I have to ask.....what is OB, and OGB? RB = rebloomer? In the catalog they list them both as EM. EM = early - mid?

Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

EM = early midseason bloomer

OB = oncobred

OGB = oncogeliabred

RB = regeliabred

None of which probably helps you at all. ;-) However, you can read more thorough explanations of all these arilbred terms here:

http://www.arilsociety.org/arilsociety.pl?arilbreds

Hope that helps!

I just love DG.....learn something new everyday! Thanks, Laurie!

More Ariels to add to the one Laurie sent me? Dancing a happy dance here! I just had time to look at them last night & didn't get to research them yet. My kitchen was full of 8 different iris I dug to send out for my free iris packs.

Tazzy, I recognized Bertha as the Mommy of Tazzy Baby. You told me the dad--it's on the back of the photo in my Iris photo album for your records. I'll check it for you.

I adopted Tazzy's seedling by mistake & she's a beauty!

Thumbnail by Wandasflowers

Wow, she is a beauty! Way to go, Tazzy!

The color is absolutely stunning and 8 buds. And Tazzy thought it was dead. nope, hitchiked with other roots to Iowa.

That's how kids are, Tazzy. You go to all the work of birthing & raising them, and they desert you!

Well, Wanda sure knows how to punish people! She sent me Color Carnival, Champagne Waltz, Az Ap, Rose Luminata, Clarence, and Rosemary's Dream. I just don't know if I can handle this kind of punishment, Wanda! LOL Thank you so much for all the beauties! I guess I know what I will be doing this weekend....... ;-)

Like I said, if I have to dig, YOU have to dig! LOL

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.