Help me decide what to do

Mystic, CT(Zone 6b)

Here is my Acer Palmatum Dissectum. I wish I had a picture of it from two years ago, but I don't. Two years ago I had to move it because my neighbor's Hydrangea and Kousa Dogwood were growing too big due to his excess fertilization. I moved my tree from a relatively protected spot, to a hillside that is less protected. There are other Laceleafs in the area on sunny hillsides, with full day sun, so I thought this spot would not be too bad, because it was surrounded by houses and other structures.

Last year, the Laceleaf showed some crisping of leaves. I thought it was sunburn or wind, so I watered more. More and more leaves crisped and fell off. In fall, some tiny stems turned white and died. I checked for scale, but found nothing.

This spring, to my horror, my tree leafed out and about half the stems (including some large ones) were dead. Leaves were crisping at an alarming rate. A friend came over and found a caterpillar on it. I picked off the caterpillar and some white goo, and then I used some Gardens Alive Bullseye spray. I also watered more. The crisping seems to have stopped, and leaves are sprouting back a bit.

My problem is: I am not sure that this is a pest problem. Maybe the pests came after the tree was stressed. It sounds like Anthracnose, it also sounds like sun and winter burn. I am tempted to pot the tree in good soil and put it in a safer area, but was told I would surely kill it if I did so. If I leave it where it is this winter, It could die from wind and sun burn. If it is Anthracnose, the disease is in the soil and stems, and the plant will not leaf out at all next spring, killing it. What should I do?

Thumbnail by Ivy1
St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

The problem does not sound like an insect pest. Anthracnose may be a possibility. I doubt it's sun, wind or winterkill. I live in a colder and far windier area than you and I have little problems with my dissectum which is growing in full sun and full wind. I get tiny stems dying over winter but that's all. So the problems sounds like fungal or a root problem. What time of the year did you move it and were there many roots damaged in the transplant? If a root problem, then it may not be a good future for the plant. I have moved JM in mid-summer and if enough roots and soil are left attached, they have moved with no problems. Fall transplanting is a no-no.

Mystic, CT(Zone 6b)

I can't remember when I moved it, it was at least spring of 2004 or before, so transplant shock does not seem like it would be the problem. I did not move it in the fall. I did fertilize at the time and afterward read that you should never fertilize, but that was at the beginning of last year, at least, maybe longer ago. In fact, I thought that was what killed the little stems when this whole problem began. Is it possible that Holly-tone almost killed my Maple? I can't imagine it did unless the roots just suddenly reached the fertilizer over the winter. I would think that any fertilizer would have washed down through the soil by now.

This message was edited Jul 28, 2005 2:11 PM

Springfield, IL(Zone 6a)

I don't know whether this will help .....but i grow alot of blueberries ( i know not the same but listen) they sometimes get disease or something that causes a dying branch or two ...YOUR first insinct is to water and fertilize. With blueberries this kills the plant dead ...from stress or overwatering I don't know but it toasts them ESPECIALLY in hot weather.....soooo now I just cut off dead branches and dispose of FAR away and clean up any dead leaves and take far away .... I think you're overwatering and fertilizing and it's shocking the diseaseriden plant and making things worse...and I do think it sounds like some sort of disease...remember I'm no expert and blueberry plants aint JM'S but i think that's what has happened to you...it may be too late but stop agreesive watering and fertilizing and get rid of all dead parts ( if they are truly dead) ...David

Vancouver, WA(Zone 8b)

ivy1 ~

While Holly-tone is not what I would use, and not something the Japanese Maples need!!, I don't know that it alone would kill the tree. I am inclined to agree with Todd, if enough roots were moved with the plant, just transplanting shouldn't kill it either. It really could be several different things, have you taken a pic, or a small specimen from the tree into a good tree nursery??? I do this when really stumped, and am lucky to have a Japanese Maple specialty nursery 5 minutes away....they can really help. Is there somewhere like that you can go?? The tree just really doesn't look great, and with Fall rapidly approaching, it would be so good to know how to help it so it can go into dormancy as healthy as poss....

Keep us posted!! And Good Luck!!
Jam

Mystic, CT(Zone 6b)

Thank you all for your input! I am really pleased that you guys were listening because I just didn't know what to do.

Myersphcf- Thank you for your info! I don't think I am overwatering. I water once, maybe twice a week, depending on how the tree looks, but only since we have had over 90 degree weather and no rain for two months. I think I would probably be more of an underwaterer by nature. Before that, I had started watering once every two weeks or so, because the plant seemed stressed. Also, this tree is on a fairly good sized slope, so water tends to drain away easily.

The fertilizing I did once, when I planted the tree in this particular spot.

I had to wait to cut off any branches because I wasn't sure whether they would leaf out.

Jamie68- You should have seen my tree 2 years ago! The branches were just about to touch the ground for the first time.

I don't have a good JM nursery nearby, and I do not trust the other nurseries to be able to tell what is wrong from a cutting or pic. I do have an Ag Extension I could send to, though, so I may do that. My inclination is to trim it, and pot it to get it in good rich loose soil so it can grow some roots before winter.

Vancouver, WA(Zone 8b)

Oh wow, from almost touching the ground - to that pic you posted?? No wonder you needed help knowing what to do! I think contacting the extension office is a great idea. And I would love to know what they have to say....Keep us all posted.....we will be sending good gardening thoughts your way...:-)

Good Luck!!
Jamie

Mystic, CT(Zone 6b)

Thank you for your kind words, Jamie. I was just sick this spring when I came out and saw all those dead branches. I feel a little better now since I got rid of the caterpillars or whatever, and the tree started perking up. The really awful part is that it was a gift from my MIL for our first anniversary 5 years ago. I would hate to have it die, because she has been sick too, but is hanging in there like a trouper.

Mystic, CT(Zone 6b)

I just wanted to let people know that I transplanted my Japanese maple into a large pot last year, and it is coming back to life! It seems to have none of the dieback problem it had last year. Thank you every one who commiserated with me and gave me advice! Keep your fingers crossed for this year's growth.

Newport News, VA(Zone 7b)

Good luck with your tree this year!

Laura

Mystic, CT(Zone 6b)

Thanks, Laura! I am so stunned that this plant is doing well. It pays to trust your instincts. I thought that a transplant might help this particular plant, but a couple of people told me not to - I decided it couldn't be in worse shape if I did transplant it, so I took a risk and it paid off.

Thanks again!

Ferndale, WA(Zone 8b)

Ivy1,

So, then maybe it was the soil!
Does that mean you should not plant anything in that spot again?
You could gat a cheap tree and see if it gets hurt too.
I am still puzzled by what had happened.

Any clues?
Freebird

Mystic, CT(Zone 6b)

Freebird- I don't know. The only thing I can think of is sun and wind stress. The tree is doing fine in it's pot, protected by my house, and I planted a Wine and Roses Weigela in the spot where the tree was and it is thriving.

It is weird though. I have seen a couple of the same red variety doing great on sunny hillsides in our neighborhood.

Ferndale, WA(Zone 8b)

I am so happy she is well!
See, our intuition is ALWAYS RIGHT!
I am so proud of you for doing what you felt was right!
I lost my first $150.00 tree in June (my dog chewed it up), and boy did it hurt. Since then I am taking more of a chance. I bought 30 different rare e-bay JM seedlings, hoping they'll make it in pots over the winter.
Well, just because we've almost lost it once, we can't protect it for ever.
So, maybe it is best to leave in a pot, or, try again in a different spot.
What do you think for the Acer palmatum disectum?

Love, Freebird

Mystic, CT(Zone 6b)

Oooh, go for it! I wish you all the good luck in the world! I bet they will make it. You might try some in a protected space outside or in the basement or unheated garage, just to see which is the best way. You will become the Master JM seed starter!

I yanked up a seedling from a sidewalk once and everyone said that I should put it in a pot but i threw it in the ground and it is about 4 feet tall now and super healthy.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.