sandy soil

Reno, NV(Zone 6a)

I am visiting my sister in eastern Colorado and helping her with her garden. Coming from an area (Reno) that has clay soil, I am not sure what to do about all this sandy soil. She lives right on the edge of the Big Sandy and that is exactly what her soil is...SANDY. I realize that we need to amend the soil, but with 11 acres we just don't know where to start. She does have horses so that will be a good source of compost but what else can we do in a hurry that doesn't involve buying truckloads of compost or peat moss. And, won't the horse manure be full of weed seeds? The lawn and flower beds have to be watered daily as the soil dries out so quickly and everything dies. I would guess a soil analysis would be in order too. Any advice from those living in sandy areas would sure be helpful. You should see her property! I've never seen a place so pretty with the short grass prairie to the east and south of her front yard. Pronghorn antelope, wild turkeys, deer and a gazillion types of birds. Sure beats the desert! I guess I should add that her's is a 100 year old ranch house and probably nothing has been done in all these years to help the soil.

This message was edited Jul 27, 2005 7:40 PM

(Zone 2b)

If the manure is composted properly, that will help to kill many of the weed seeds. Organic matter will likely help the soil to hold water a bit better. Keeping a layer of mulch on the surface can help keep some water from evaporating. Having the soil tested is a good idea. That way you can determine what nutrients are lacking. Choosing plant varieties that are drought tolerant would also be a good plan. Otherwise, as you said, the plants may require frequent watering.

Bloomingdale, NY(Zone 4a)

Focus on the garden beds and fortify it with the organic matter you have at hand. If there is some completely rotted horse manure, mulch your beds with it and worry about the weeds later. If there is enough rotted manure, work some into the top couple of inches with a garden rake and add more on top as a mulch.

As for the lawn, I think you've touched on the problem. Look at the short prairie grass to the east and south of the yard. Then look at the grass planted around the house and decide if the variety planted there is suitable for the soil. It sounds like a grass inappropriate for the soil is planted in the yard. It might not be the silky-smooth putting-green grass that people just love to have in their yards, but planting those native grasses is a lot easier to maintain and make more sense to me..

Misplaced varieties require a lot of work and resources. Too much if you ask me. Someone more sympathetic to lawns may be able to offer more help.

Wayne

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.