Thanks to DG folks- how to PLAN the perfect IRIS bed

Pearisburg, VA(Zone 7a)

I'm new to Iris's simply because I had terrible luck as a new gardener. They are the one thing missing in my garden, which is very, very small. I choose only the exact plant that will do what I want. No room for 'fun' gardening any more. Thanks to some great, thoughtful iris growners on DG I have managed to gather some very healthy, named Iris. I want to start the right, healthy bed for them. Any suggestions? I'm in SW Va so I'm sure full sun will be first....I need to do soil testing to give more info to you but I really want to make this a major project - thanks to DG folks who have shared their healthy iris for me.

How deep, how much sun, types of soil they love, etc.....I can't wait to start this plot - after it gets under 99 degrees !
Kathy

Arnett, WV(Zone 5b)

Oh my Gosh Kathy,

Isnt the heat here attrocious! Ive been doing any and all of my gardening early in the am or late in the evening. I like you
have some new iris that I need get into beds as well.

If I come up with anything Ill give you holler . lol lol

SHOULD I DARE SAY IT??????????????????

fall is coming sshhhhhh

Lafayette, IN(Zone 5a)

Hey you two.........I lived in Bluefield WV for fourteen years until I moved here 3 years ago. Loved it there, but this is where my home is! The heat has been awful here also and coupled with lots of humidity. We caught a break from it today......it was only 71 for the high!
Hope you get some cooling temps soon!

Please don't use that 4 letter word for awhile!

Vancouver, WA(Zone 7a)

Well, they say the 3 most important things in real estate are "location, location, location". I say the biggest thing in iris growing is "drainage, drainage, drainage"! Then (just about equally important) is sun. If you've got those two things right, irises will do pretty well for you.

Irises will take as much sun as you can give them, although they'll grow and bloom well if you give them at least 6 hours of direct sunlight per day.

Drainage is super important because irises ROT! If you have clay soil, add sand or gypsum to break it up. You can also add composted manure, but make sure it's well aged first or else it can lead to rot. Never pile it directly onto the rhizome. I usually add it to the bed about 2-3 weeks before I plant the irises in. Raised beds also aid drainage. Most of my iris beds are raised, because we get a ton of rain here and they tend to have rot problems otherwise.

Other things that can cause rot are high nitrogen fertilizers (such as miracle grow) and planting the rhizome too deeply. You can tell if the fertilizer is too high in nitrogen by looking at the first number. Bulb fertilizer is usually a pretty good bet or Bone Meal. If you're going to use something with more nitrogen in it, a balanced fertilzer such as 16-16-16 works well for me, but I only add that in the spring...and never to newly planted irises. I only use the higher nitrogen fertilzer here in WA State because the rain here leaches it all from the soil. I doubt that other parts of the country have as big an issue with rain, so it may be better for you to stick with the no to very little nitrogen fertlizers.

I read all of the time that you should plant the rhizome no more than 1" below the soil line. However, because of all the rain here in WA State, I plant them even less deeply...with the top 1/3 of the rhizome actually above the soil.

It's late and I'm ready to go to bed, so I'm sure I've left things out. Here's a link that will give you pretty complete information.

http://www.mid-americagarden.com/bearded_iris_culture.htm

You may also want to read up on possible pests to your irises. You may have to deal with iris borer where you're at...which can completely wipe out all of your plants in a short amount of time. There's been lots of discussion about this matter here at DG. Aphids can also be a problem. Here's a link regarding iris borer:

http://irisgarden.org/borermain.html

Fungal leaf spot is also a common problem, but not usually lethal to the plant. However, it can be very unsightly. Good air circulation and thorough garden clean-up, especially in the fall, will help with this. There are also sprays you can use if it's a big problem. If you choose to spray, it's always a good idea to add a sticker spreader to your spray so the chemicals can adhere to the leaves and have time to work. Here's another link that discusses fungal leaf spot, as well as other things that can affect your irises:

http://www.leonineiris.com/l9ieducinfo/l9ieducinfo_diseasesandpests.html

Anyway between what I've told you here and the other expert advice you will get from various DGers, you'll be an iris pro in no time! :0]

Pearisburg, VA(Zone 7a)

YOU ARE GREAT! I'm printing all the info, and link info, so I can start a new binder with this info. I can't wait to get started. I've been provided with such wonderful, healthy, Iris that I really want to work hard at this. I'll definately have pictures for the Iris forum next Spring.

THANKS so much.

Cathy - my glads are beautiful that you sent that year. How is your garden? And thank goodness, the temps are dropping today - a cool 80 ! dig, dig, dig

Pearisburg, VA(Zone 7a)

One more big question. Since my yard is limited. What do you guys plant with the Iris? Should I have only iris in one bed or plant them amoung other plants? If so, what works well with Iris so that it looks good.

I found that glads needed a boost from strong liaris to stand up. Things link this will help before I start moving plants around. I can put them mixed in my perennials or make one bed for just the iris but after they bloom what will I have, except green leaves? Again, since space is an issue I need something to bloom when the Iris fade. Suggestions?

Fayetteville, NC(Zone 8a)

Check the pictures that wandasflowers has posted of her mixed beds. I have learned a lot. She has pictures of her beds when the irises are blooming and then again a couple of months later when all the summer flowers are in. Amazing pictures. I had the same questions you have and learned a lot by just looking at her pictures.

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Be careful with adding sand to clay (coming from the land of clay). If you don't add enough you can end up with virtual cement and make the problem worse. I use organic amendments (compost and manure, which many might think would be too rich for iris - but it doesn't rain here at all in the summer and the air is not humid, however I use sprinklers. Somehow it is generally thought that sand is a good idea, but I have neighbors who have rued the day....... Maybe there's clay or there's clay. Just check it out before you have yards of sand delivered onto your driveway. ;-)

Pearisburg, VA(Zone 7a)

wandasflowers is where many of my Iris came from and I've checked out a few of her great pictures but will review the detail today. Thanks.

My soil is really good, earth worms by the bucket full. Little clay.

Cedar Rapids, IA(Zone 5a)

Air circulation, keep the roots nice & dry & lots of sun. Love them Iris!

Pearisburg, VA(Zone 7a)

so wanda - where are your pictures like 1garden said above - I can't find them

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.