Granny's Magical Tree

Troy, IL(Zone 6a)

When I was a small child my Granny had the most wonderful tree in her front yard. I have never seen one like it since.

Help me to figure out what kind of tree it is and I will put you in my will!! LOL

It had to have low branches because we could climb up and sit in it. The leaves were tiny little things. a long stem with lots of tiny leaves. It had some sort of fuzzy dark pink or maybe red flower on it and smelled so wonderful.

Any ideas? I would love to plant one in my yard.

Thanks
Deb

Lindsay, OK(Zone 7a)

Was it a Locust? My Grandmother has one sounds like that and is just stunning.. they spread by the roots and seeds. . . I dont know the type per say but I will look around a little and see... Mitch

Josephine, Arlington, TX(Zone 8a)

Could it be a Mimosa tree?
Chec this one out, http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/1764/index.html

This message was edited Jul 27, 2005 5:47 PM

Lindsay, OK(Zone 7a)

Mimosa dont have a smell right?

Troy, IL(Zone 6a)

Thanks all!!!!!

It is a mimosa! After reading about it, I am not sure I really sure that it will grow here. I will have to give it a try though.

Yes RedOak, they do smell.

Thank you so much for the help. I appreciate it greatly!

Deb

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

They grow quite large here in West KY....and I'm only about 3 hours down the interstate from you south of Paducah.

Most often, they are smallish, but my aunt had one in her yard that was over 50' tall and the shade covered a huge circle. They get sort of invasive if you don't keep the babies pulled out and make sure you train it to a single trunk...they split terribly.

They grow fast, and don't put one anywhere you don't want the little pink blooms to mess up...they're awful near a driveway or sidewalk. As long as you have a space away from general traffic, it should live fine.

Springville, AL(Zone 7a)

Within the next 2 weeks, I will be gathering Mimosa seeds if anyone is intersted....drop me an dmail, and I can put you on the list.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.