Vermicomposting anyone?

(Maggie) Jacksonvill, FL(Zone 9a)

Is anyone interested in having worm composting as a separate forum?

San Lorenzo, CA

It would certainly be easier than having to go to all the different forums where worm composting is being discussed.

Windermere, FL(Zone 9b)

I would definitely be interested. Margaret

Ocean Springs, MS(Zone 8b)

I'm interested.

Pocahontas, TN(Zone 7b)

Me Too!!! I love my worms!!

Cleveland, OH(Zone 5b)

I'm in.

Amherst, VA(Zone 7a)

I would love to see an active vermicomposting forum.

I'm searching right now, and have to agree it would be nice to have it as a separate forum. I see the question was last addressed in July of 2005, so consider this a "bump" on the issue.

While I love DG, for that particular subject I think the best place at this point is http://thegardenforums.org/viewforum.php?f=42/ The regulars from GW went there.

Maggie

Pioneer, CA

I too would be interested. I have a worm bin going now, so far, so good, but there is always something to learn from other gardeners. Think it would be great to have a seperate forum.

Pleasureville, KY(Zone 6a)

Count me in, DH is an avid fisherman, and is always interested in ideas about growing his own worms.

Paris, TN

i'm in

I floated an idea about this a while back. Since then, the main thread http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/691406/ has had growing activity and there have been other threads on organic gardening http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/480051/ and frugal living asking for information on worm composting. Do you think forum would help us find our worm buddies more easily?

If so, post here so Dave et al. know how many of us there are. Spare forums don't grow on trees you know ;-). He has to create them

Maggie

Fredericksburg, VA(Zone 7b)

margaran, count me in! I'm greatly interested in this as a potential MG project with school kids.

I think it would be so cool to do that!!! I love that I'm recycling trash into fertilizer. Here's a resource on what a teacher and her class did to recycle at their school http://tinyurl.com/2khl45

Maggie

Camanche, IA(Zone 5a)

Count me in also ! I grow my worms in my basement, I well be starting year two with my first order of worms.

Paris, TN

flip how will you be selling your worms? sounds like were in the same boat we have been raising ours for about a year i started out just doing it for the compost for my own personal use and my husband turned it into a business

Nilwood, IL(Zone 5b)

Count me in too please!!! BEV

Mid-Cape, MA(Zone 7a)

I'd appreciate a separate forum for vermicomposting! I want to know more about it before I get started!

Scottsburg, IN(Zone 6a)

Count me in on this one too.

Fredericksburg, VA(Zone 7b)

Me too

Caneyville, KY(Zone 6b)

Ditto, Dave.

Robin

Paris, TN

where is caneyville ky?

SE Houston (Hobby), TX(Zone 9a)

How come ya'll didn't come get me? I'M IN!

Central Texas, TX(Zone 8b)

I'm intrested!

Pocahontas, TN(Zone 7b)

I might not post a lot but I surely would be lurking!!

Judy

Caneyville, KY(Zone 6b)

Fieldsems, Caneyville is about 45 miles north of Bowling Green, Ky. Two hours north of Nashville.

I'm mostly interested in doing this to help my garden, too.

San Francisco Bay Ar, CA(Zone 9b)

Great idea! The vermicomposting threads that I'm familiar with are scattered over the Soil & Composting, Organic Gardening and Vegetable gardening forums. Sounds like there are more on forums I haven't managed to visit yet.
Hmmm, herding worms........that must be like herding cats.

(Phyllis) Flint,, TX(Zone 7b)

I agree I think it is a great idea it needs a home ..I have not gotten one started yet but I am planning on it as soon as I can get what I need and any and all info I can find will help me make it successful as I have alot of ground to cover in Texas that is clay and soil and I want gardens LOL

Pioneer, CA

I'm still interested. I had a bin that I was growing worms in this Summer
but I gave up on it and just added all of the worms and castings to one of my compost bins. The castings were so wet and when they dried were like rocks!! Not a success story.

I let mine dry out too one time nd had little rocks. If you re-wet it and run it through a screen, it will come out fluffy. I'm packing some for Christmas presents!

Maggie

San Lorenzo, CA

Would be nice to have a forum for worms. I bought one of the commercial worm farms through a local government agency. There was a small handbook with the set they got me started okay. I am one of those people who doesn't post a lot, but certainly read a lot of what others have to say. I managed to figure out how to keep my worms alive and they are doing fine right now. They don't seem as hungry now that it has started to get cold, but over the summer they made a nice supply of casings. Now I have to figure out how I am supposed to use them in my garden. Do I sprinkle them on top, or do I work it into the soil? It would be nice to have a forum where all topics are discussed--like is there some kind of food that should not go to the worms. Or what happens when you start getting other bugs in your worm farm? I have a million questions and very few answers.

Cleveland, OH(Zone 5b)

I would like to start up my worm bin again. I could use a refresher course.

Paris, TN

As far as your compost your worms make you can work it into the soil or I use my straight as a seed starter,the bugs that look like larvae I just hand pick those out and I don't feed my worms onions and I use a ph tester to moniter my worms so that they don't get too acidic.

SE Houston (Hobby), TX(Zone 9a)

yeah, too much acid and the worms get heartburn....

Pocahontas, TN(Zone 7b)

Maggie (margaran)

I decided we really didn't need to exchange Christmas presents this year..... (I could not hep it, deep Southern talkin'... my attempt at hurmor)

Judy

-South Central-, IL(Zone 6a)

Count me in! I lurk in vermicomposting often!

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Andrew wrote a great pair of how-to articles on vermicomposting in September. I saw people were asking questions on this thread, so I figured I post the links...

http://davesgarden.com/guides/articles/view/81/

http://davesgarden.com/guides/articles/view/154/

San Francisco Bay Ar, CA(Zone 9b)

Thanks critter! It would be nice to have a sticky on vermicomposting that kept links to these articles up at the top.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Is there a vermicomposting forum now? I looked on the list of forums and didn't see one, but maybe I didn't look under the right heading...

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.