Ivy on trees

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

We have many very large trees that we have "allowed" ivy to climb (innocently at first)..but now the ivy has reached the top and is blooming so it is like a shrub coming out all over the trunk. We have cut the roots of a few down in the woods and it has started to wilt but looks horrible. I don't want to cut the one right out front of the den window because I am afraid it will look worse than the ivy. The tree is probably 150 + feet tall. Any suggestions? Or just leave for the next generation......ivy loses its' ability to climb when it blooms. I believe it has to reach a certain age to bloom. It looks like this!

Thumbnail by levilyla
Lindsay, OK(Zone 7a)

From what I have heard . . . umm Ivy kills the tree. It can cause big problems with the tree falling on the house or such... I hope someone who knows a little more then hearsay can help you with this... Mitch

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

With a tree this size it will not kill it (at least as long as I am alive) I think maybe smaller trees it will. Actually I would not mind if it did kill it and then I would have more sun! Problem is it would cost a fortune to remove it. so here it stands!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.