Newbie needing help

Berkshire, NY(Zone 5a)

Hi - My daughter sent me a juniper bonsai for Mother's Day. It came from a place called Eve's Garden. It looked okay for awhile but now is shedding smaller branches and not looking very happy. I guess it really ought to be outside but I don't think it will survive the winter here in zone 5. I certainly can put it outside, but if I have to bring it in for winter, won't it just die then? Also the directions said to water it every day but just skimming through these threads, I see that maybe that is too much water. I also bought some fertilizer from the same place - it makes a very dilute solution and says to fertilize every time you water. It is in the middle of a very bright room that gets lots of sun, but not in a window because I don't think it should have direct sunlight.

I am not a complete novice with house plants - I have a small cedar tree indoors that I have managed to keep in good shape for nearly 2 years - it is not a bonsai, but was sold as a decoration at Christmas time.

I'd be very grateful for any advice from the experts here - thanks in advance!

Manhattan Beach, CA(Zone 11)

This site will tell you EVERYTHING you need to know, I think. http://www.bonsaisite.com/
Get that Juniper outside into partial sun immediately! Keep the soil moist but never soggy. Don't fertilize more than once a month.
I don't know about winter, we don't have whatever that is around here.
Good luck!

Edited to add: Sorry, I'm no expert.

This message was edited Jul 26, 2005 3:52 PM

Berkshire, NY(Zone 5a)

Any more input? I am interested in hearing about bringing a bonsai inside for the winter after one has been outside for the summer months. Will a typical juniper survive a zone5 winter?

Pittsfield,, MA(Zone 5b)

I live in the Berkshires, Mass and I leave my hardy bonsai out till after Christmas (Except last year when it was sooooooooooo cold!) The deciduous one I put into the really cold cellar and water slightly occassionally until April and then I bring them into the light and water, etc. The evergreens I leave out and then put into the other cool cellar where I have grow lights. At Bonsa West there is a very good little booklet called "Ask Dr. Bonsai" which you can download and I have found more helpful in some ways than the BIG books!! I also have several tropicals which spend the summer outside and the other 3 seasons inside in my sunroom or under lights. This is a picture of one of my tropicals...It's a seju elm and NOT hardy. I've had it probably 10 years...won it in a raffle at the greenhouse I belong to....

Thumbnail by bseddon
Manhattan Beach, CA(Zone 11)

Why don't you look at the site I linked to? They even have a FAQ section.
They also have a forum for you to ask advice in:
http://forums.bonsaisite.com/

Berkshire, NY(Zone 5a)

Ulrich - I'm sorry - didn't mean to sound as though I was ignoring your advice. The site you posted is very helpful and I am using the info from there. Thanks!

Bandung, Indonesia

Do you have any comments about this bonsai - one of Bonsai Star Gallery ([HYPERLINK@www.bonsaistar.com]) collections?

Species : Buxus Harlandii

Style : Informal

Height : 27 cm

Thumbnail by limadijaya

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.