Odd Gaillardia

Schroon Lake, NY(Zone 4a)

I let all the bright flowers and leftovers run amok up by the road. This gaillardia is different from any I've had. Is this a mutation? It's kind of George-Jetson ish

Thumbnail by dmcdevitt
Sebastopol, CA(Zone 9a)

It's not a mutation, but it's new. At any rate, I never saw it until a couple of years ago. I can't remember the name of it, sorry. If you didn't plant it, a bird probably dropped the seed there.

Oak Grove, MN(Zone 4a)

Lucky you! It's called "Fanfare". I wanted one but judged them too pricey.

Denver, CO(Zone 6a)

Is it called Fanfare?

Thanks for your replies
It is not anything I bought. There were Gaillardias here when I bought the house 12 years ago. I have let them re-seed over the years and this is the first time I've seen this shape.
We're not near any cutting-edge gardens or flower breeders, so who knows how it happened.
Maybe I'll save seeds and see if it duplicates?
I'd be happy to send seeds if anyone else wants to try them. Gailardias set a lot of seed

Sure does - but they get they patent!! Anyway $7.95 for a 2 inch pot???
Guess i'd better get planting!! I wonder if they will come true from seed?
All the blooms on that plant are shaped like that, too. At first I thought there was just something wrong with that bloom.

Oak Grove, MN(Zone 4a)

Okay, I'm going right out to my garden with some uranium to see what I can get for next year!
I think Wayside is too expensive most of the time but they are also Park Seed and sometimes sell the same plant for a different price at the other website!
If you are willing to send some seeds, I'd love to try them.

i just went up and checked, there are two spent blooms. when they ripen, sure i'll send seed. I wonder if they will come true?

There are no superfund sites around here either! I bet there are lots of little aberrations that go unnoticed. I've watched this plant as a curiosity but if not for Dave's Garden and all you guys, I'd probably just forget about the plant in the long run.

Oak Grove, MN(Zone 4a)

That would be great. Thank you!!

Portland, OR(Zone 8b)

I've been growing 'fanfare' since last fall when I purchased a gallon-sized plant for $7.99. I'd hope it would reseed, but the seeds appear to be sterile. :(

Chattaroy, WA

I have grown new plants from seed of my Fanfare and out of 10 plants, one was true. So they are not sterile and I know they do not all come true.

Interesting - thanks for the info.

Oak Grove, MN(Zone 4a)

Hmm, I guess it would be worth trying then.

Portland, OR(Zone 8b)

Cool. That's good to know the seeds aren't sterile. How did you get them to germinate?

Chattaroy, WA

Actually, I planted the seeds in the fall and left them over the winter. In the Spring, they came up.

Gaillardia seeds germinate at 70-75 degrees and need light to germinate. Surface Sow. I find that some seed need cold treatment for better results that is why I plant them in the fall and let them sit over the winter outside. When the conditions are right (70-75 degrees) they sprout.....

Portland, OR(Zone 8b)

Nice! I'll let some go to seed and just spread them around.

Spokane, WA(Zone 5b)

You just gotta love it when the birds and squirrels bring you treats! I was gifted a black parrot tulip this last spring.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.