Getting Thunbergia to bloom?

Raleigh, NC(Zone 7b)

I have tried the past two seasons growing Thunbergia and have had great success with healthy vines and lots of foliage, but few blooms. I am curious if the constant twisting of new shoots up existing vines hampers blooms. Any ideas? Thanks.

(Taylor) Plano, TX(Zone 8a)

I think the bloom time depends on what type of thunbergia you have...
Some of the larger thunbergias, such as Grandiflora, bloom primarily in the Fall.
The smaller ones like alata(s) and fragrans can bloom off and on, but primarily in Spring and then again in Fall...

Which do you have?
Are you fertilizing it? Sometimes too much fertilizer can result in less blooms...
-T

Aurora, TX(Zone 8a)

Ahh.........seedpicker may have something there! =) I fert. the heck out of my 'Alba,' trying to get her to bloom............jeepers.......on "diet" from here out!

Thanks, seed!
MKJ

Kay-
do you mean thunbergia grandilfora alba, or thunbergia alata alba?
I assume you mean grandiflora(seem to remember you having that one).

You can give it some bloom fertilizer once the heat wave breaks, just not the regular stuff...
:0)
-T

Tempe, AZ(Zone 9b)

I planted three seeds of Thunbergia Alata in September of last year and it bloomed from the end of October thru May. I really didn't think it would live thru our summer heat but the foliage is thriving. It is now one huge plant. I'm assuming the spring and fall is the bloom time but I plan to fertilize in September to hopefully kick start it.

Aurora, TX(Zone 8a)

Oh, I can't wait! Here's mine in May, so maybe it'll start up again!

http://davesgarden.com/pf/showimage/76722/

That is the thunbergia alata alba. Cute plant. I love the cream colored version of this plant, also...
It should start blooming around mid to end of September for you...
-T

Raleigh, NC(Zone 7b)

Thanks for all the input. I seem to remember it blooming more prodigiously in late summer last year, but I assumed it had reached the top of trellis and just grew in circles then. I believe I have Grandiflora Alba. The flowers are bright yellow with black centers. I have heard it called a Black-eyed Susan Vine. As for the fertilizer, I hit it once earlier this year, but I will leave it alone for now.

The black-eyed susan vine is one of the 'alata' varieties. The grandiflora alba is much larger and has a yellow center...

The alata come in white with black center, creamy pastel yellow with black center, bright yellow with black center, and orange with, or without a black center.

There are also newer alata varieties, with pretty salmons and even some of the "smoothie" varieties which include raspberry colored ones...

Raleigh, NC(Zone 7b)

Thank you Seedpicker! I’ll try to get a picture on-line soon.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.