schizophragma rosea aka pink climbing hydrangea

East Texas, United States(Zone 8a)

I bought this plant last year and it has really struggled. In fact, I thought it had bit the dust. Now I see this plant and can't tell if it is a weed or my cl. hydrangea revived. What do yo think?

Thumbnail by vossner

This is a second plant of climbing hydrangea (I'm sure of this one) that is also struggling. In the upper left corner you can see one leaf of the bigger bush. I can't decide if it both of these are the same.

Thumbnail by vossner

here is a pic of what looks like flowers from the first plant.

Thumbnail by vossner
Woodville, TX(Zone 8a)

Vossner, I ordered one of those climbing hydrangeas and babied it and all of a sudden it disappeared. I think a deer must have eaten it. Point is that I have heard they are very hard to get started but once you do they are hardy and oh so beautiful. Hang in there and give it a couple more years. Jenny

Cincinnati (Anderson, OH(Zone 6a)

voss- I wouldn't pull it up just yet.

I went thru the same thing in CA (Zone 9-10) with one...it was very very slow to get going and needed a lot of nursing along (which I didn't always provide.)

Now, having said that, I planted one here in Cincy last fall and it's growing quite nicely. A bigger plant to start with, in acidy soil, part sun, and I water it a lot. Pretty, though.

Good luck. t.

Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

Nery,
The second pic shows a climbing hyd. It looks just like the one I have.
Mine has grown leaps and bounds in the 1 1/2 that I have had it. It is behind my dahlias going up a trellis wild. It hasn't bloomed yet. That part is kind of frustrating. But it sure knows how to put out new branches tho.
I plan on trying to propagate some climbing hyd. this fall to see how it does.
Mine is in good soil and gets shade. They do not like full sun, they like a bit of shade.
The first plant I do not know what it is.
Carol

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

The first one is not a climbing hydrangea but I don't know what it is.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.