Weeping Willow not weeping.....

Ridgeville, IN(Zone 5a)

I bought a weeping willow last April....so this is the second season for it in my yard. The tree, however, is not weeping. I've read the tag, and reread the tag......making sure it is a *weeping* willow, and not some sort of upright. The tag says "Green Weeping Willow.....Salix babylonica" So why is my tree not weeping? Does maturity or size have anything to do with it? I keep thinking maybe it's not big enough or mature enough to weep yet? Any thoughts? Thanks. Jenny zone 5

Lindsay, OK(Zone 7a)

Are you watering it? Weeping Willow use a ton of water... it may not grow to weep if it dose not have a good amount of water... the other thought would be are you sure the tree is a weeping willow beyond the tag? Can you post a pic of the tree and a pic of the leaves...If this si a Walmart or such special it might not really be what it claims to be... Mitch

Denver, CO(Zone 6a)

Perhaps it's not sad enough.

Ridgeville, IN(Zone 5a)

Here's the overall tree picture. Kinda hard to see with the corn in the background. I'll post closeup of leaves next. Jenny

Thumbnail by jenny_tulip
Ridgeville, IN(Zone 5a)

and the leaves......Jenny

Thumbnail by jenny_tulip
Ridgeville, IN(Zone 5a)

So is this indeed a weeping willow? Or some other kind of willow? I sure hope it's not a case of the wrong tag with the wrong tree. As far as watering......yes I water it, and it has grown quite a lot since last April when I got it. Jenny

Thumbnail by jenny_tulip
Lindsay, OK(Zone 7a)

Looks like not weeping.. wrong tree... a hybrid willow maybe?

Ridgeville, IN(Zone 5a)

I was afraid you were going to say that. So you don't have any idea on the specific kind of willow? It is a willow, isn't it? I'm wondering how big it will get.....now that I don't know what it is. Jenny

Lindsay, OK(Zone 7a)

sorry no idea... there are a lot of them out there

Ridgeville, IN(Zone 5a)

Well thanks for at least confirming that it's not a weeper. At least I can stop wondering why it doesn't weep. LOL :o) I posted the pics on the identification forum....we'll see if anyone there can ID it. Jenny

Lindsay, OK(Zone 7a)

Willows are great no matter what -I would say keep it and give it a shot - you did not spend a lot on it I hope? Will they take it back - have you called them and asked most will... Mitch

Ridgeville, IN(Zone 5a)

I haven't called them. I did get it from Walmart, and it was only $10.....so I'm not too worried about it. I doubt they would take it back now anyway.....I think their policy is within a year....and it's been since last April. I really wanted a weeper by my pond, but this is ok too. It's grown so much, and I really am impressed with it, other than the fact I wanted it to weep. Jenny

Lindsay, OK(Zone 7a)

Yep - walmart, that is where I buy a lot of my trees... the guess is half the fun!

Springville, AL(Zone 7a)

Jenny..
Your willow looks and sounds like my Hybrid Willows.

Lindsay, OK(Zone 7a)

That is what I thought but really did not want to say... fast growth, strait stems...

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.