Dill and cucumbers

Mount Angel, OR(Zone 8a)

I like to make dill pickles and of course I plant dill and cucumbers. They never seem to coincide. Usually the cucumbers are ready long before the dill. I think once in all the years(30plus) I have had a veggie garden I could get these two to coincide. I guess I should add there were years that I didn't even try dill but every once in a while I try again. This year my dill is so tiny and cucumbers are coming on with a vengence. I probably planted the dill only a couple of weeks max later than the cucumbers. Any suggestions?????

Shenandoah Valley, VA(Zone 6b)

I direct-sowed the dill a couple of weeks before putting the cuke transplants in, and it put out nice heads for pickling as the cucumbers ripened. I interplant them. Don't know if that helps, but... good luck!

Belfield, ND(Zone 4a)

If I plant my dill the same year as the cucumbers, I find that it isn't ready when I need it. However, the dill that reseeds from last year is ready when I need it because it starts growing early in the spring. So now I just let it reseed all over and keep a patch untilled each spring.

Mount Angel, OR(Zone 8a)

So I guess it sounds like I need to plant my dill much earlier. Joan, I don't think I have ever had dill reseed on its own. Zeppy I direct seed both cukes and dill. I don't have great luck transplanting any cukes, squashes, melons. So I wonder if I could plant dill early in the greenhouse and then plant out. We plant garden here as soon as the soil is warmed up for cukes and tomatoes and sometimes that is mid May or early June. We are so wet here sometimes till almost the 4th of July.

Belfield, ND(Zone 4a)

Here, dill reseeds itself all over the place.

Shenandoah Valley, VA(Zone 6b)

sometimes the kind (or amount) of mulch I use affects the reseeding. But this is my first year w/ this garden, and the dill came up quickly.

Fritch, TX(Zone 6b)

you can always help it reseed... and yes, you could start your dill indoors. mine did great under lights, nd really took off once i set them out, about two weeks before our last frost, with milk jugs over them for protection...

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.