Blues, Blues, Blues!

Cedar Rapids, IA(Zone 5a)

In my neverending quest for more iris colors, the "blues" called to me...

Deep a blue as you can get Breakers TB.

Thumbnail by Wandasflowers

Would you like the PERFECT short & early blue? Az Ap IB bloomed for 5 weeks this spring standing up to rain & sleet & 2 hard freezes. DOZENS of blooms from this little space....

Babbling Brooks is a good basic ruffled blue that is old & won't die!

Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

BLENHEIM ROYAL is my most reliable blue TB. I love this one.

Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

I guess the pic would help.

BLENHEIM ROYAL

P.S. I agree on AZ AP. It can't be beat as a light blue IB.

Thumbnail by laurief
Vancouver, WA(Zone 7a)

Okay, Wanda, you read my mind...I have a weakness for a good blue! Here's one of my favorites...'Adoregon'...

Thumbnail by flowerfrenzy
Vancouver, WA(Zone 7a)

A neat space age blue...'Alien Mist'

Vancouver, WA(Zone 7a)

'Ascent of Angels' is always a welcome sight in the Spring!

Vancouver, WA(Zone 7a)

'Autumn Thunder' is a nice one...although the one I took a picture of has a crinkle in the fall. I know laurief has a better picture of this one...maybe I can get her to post it..hint, hint... ;0]

Hagerstown, MD(Zone 6a)

I have a short TB that took this year off, DEEP PACIFIC is a navy blue. I also love the shading in this blue called COSMIC DANCE.

Thumbnail by Elizabethtown
Vancouver, WA(Zone 7a)

Can you tell I like the ruffly ones? Here's a Blyth intro...'Babylon Queen'...

Vancouver, WA(Zone 7a)

Let us not forget the little ones...here's 'Dot Com'

Vancouver, WA(Zone 7a)

and 'Sapphire Gem'...

Vancouver, WA(Zone 7a)

My all-time favorite blue...'Spouting Horn'...

Central Texas, TX(Zone 8a)

'Bethany Claire' is a wisteria blue. And it is a rebloomer

Thumbnail by Texas_Doodlebug
Richmond, MI(Zone 5a)

has anyone got iries from blue j's are they any good do they do good?

Gee. I was told there were NO blue iris. Hmm. I think it was the same Master Gardener that iris don't bloom in the fall and that Tall Bearded Iris don't last in Iowa. Good thing my garden hasn't been listening for the past 40 years!

Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

I do have a picture of AUTUMN THUNDER, but if I were to post it, it would go under the purple thread. It certainly wasn't blue in my garden. Then again, it wasn't anything after its maiden bloom. AT wasn't tough enough to handle my growing conditions ... and I tried it twice.

Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

SUGAR BLUES isn't a real true blue. It's more of a periwinkle. But it is, hands down, THE most strongly and deliciously fragrant iris I know, and it's one of only six irises that has ever managed to rebloom for me up here in zone frigid.

Thumbnail by laurief
Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

FOREVER BLUE is an SDB that ought to be able to rebloom for just about everybody.

Thumbnail by laurief
Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

HONKY TONK BLUES remains the most beautiful TB I've ever seen to date, which is why I kept trying to grow it over and over, despite the fact that it simply and sadly isn't hardy here.

Thumbnail by laurief
Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

OLYMPIAD is another TB of sheer beauty, and it was *nearly* tough enough to make it here ... until my clay compacted around it like concrete and suffocated it. I would love to add it to my garden again and take better care of it. Does anybody have a piece they could spare?

Thumbnail by laurief
Vancouver, WA(Zone 7a)

Laurie~

Isn't it funny how different irises can look different colors, depending on climate and growing conditions? Autumn Thunder is a nice royal blue in my garden.

Vancouver, WA(Zone 7a)

Here's a novelty that falls into the blue category, 'Six Pack'...

Vancouver, WA(Zone 7a)

I love 'Sky and Sun', although this picture was taken on an overcast day, and it looks better in the sunlight.

Here is an inexpensive blue that always blooms well for me: Full Tide.

How about one of my dgo-eared historics? Blue Rhythm

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

'Clear Stream' is on the early side.

Thumbnail by doss
Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Rhapsody in Blue with IB 'Concertina' at it's feet.

Thumbnail by doss
Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

This is 'Aaron's Rod'. I'm looking forward to multiple stalks of this blooming at one time. The second group of flowers don't all bloom at the same time like this. But that's OK.

Thumbnail by doss
McGregor, IA(Zone 4b)

Doss, I'm not sure what you mean by the second group of flowers....are all ot those blooms on one stalk?

Bedford Lilac is one of those wonderful dwarfs that give alot of color in a little space. This baby blooms right next to dwarf daffodils!

Hagerstown, MD(Zone 6a)

Here's another historic blue. GREAT LAKES...

Hagerstown, MD(Zone 6a)

BLUE RIDGE BEAUTY is a gorgeous bi-tone blue.

Mystic, CT(Zone 6b)

Here's a really bad picture of Codicil, deliciously fragrant, but more periwinkle....

Thumbnail by Ivy1
Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Sorry Caitlin, Yes Aaron's Rod's first bloom is like that. It is not an official rebloomer but keeps continuing to shoot up stalks where the flowers bloom one at a time. I can't promist that it will do this for you, but Aaron's Rod isn't expensive.

This Iris came marked as "Cajun Rythym" and I'm pretty sure that it's not that. I couldn't get the vendor to ID it for me. The short stands and large falls are unusual and it has a white tipped beard. I do love this Iris. And I wish I knew it's real name. It also blooms in stalks although the open more slowly than Aaron's Rod, three or four of them can be open at the same time.

Thumbnail by doss
Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

Definitely NOT 'Cajun Rhythm'. CR is orange.

Clarence is blue & white. I like crepe paper texture of its petals and the rich color. A reliable re-bloomer here in Iowa.

Port Costa, CA

My favorite blues....don't get me started;
OVER ALASKA

Thumbnail by Merlie
Port Costa, CA

MARIAH

Thumbnail by Merlie

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.