Dark Iris I've loved...

Cedar Rapids, IA(Zone 5a)

As I look over my flowerbeds and think which ones need thinning or adding, I'm thinking about the colors I have....

How about some nice black iris?

Around Midnight --- vigorous black with purple undertones

Thumbnail by Wandasflowers

Black as Night is a velvety stunner with deep red undertones.

Concord, NH(Zone 5a)

Wanda they are gorgeous!

Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

My favorite dark and the one that does best for me is HOLY NIGHT.

Thumbnail by laurief

Oooh. That's lovely Laurie!

I like this older one too--Licorice Stick. It bloomed like crazy this year!

Yukon, OK(Zone 7b)

Oh, those are lovely!

Vancouver, WA(Zone 7a)

'Old Black Magic' smells like sweet raisins to me...

Thumbnail by flowerfrenzy
Vancouver, WA(Zone 7a)

'Ebony Angel' is my favorite black...

Thumbnail by flowerfrenzy
Vancouver, WA(Zone 7a)

Wanda~

This thread was such a great idea! I love 'Black As Night'!

Belfield, ND(Zone 4a)

My favorite black so far is Superstition, but I may have to look into that Black Magic just because it has a fragrance. And raisins to boot. Love them!

Threads like this are great--I get to see what's growing well for everyone else before I order it!

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

Oh wow! their beaufiful. Your getting iri'ss right now blooming? cool. Mine are all done, and so are the daylilies, Just wait till next year. LOL I'll have lots of iris pictures to post. and new blooms i've never seen before. All your recent iris posts are beautiful wanda.

kathy

No, just finally got all the pics scanned in form April & May! My daylilies follow the iris so fast that I get behind & I don't like the color of my digitals...

Central Texas, TX(Zone 8a)

Wanda, thanks for posting the Licorice Stick pictures. You just sent me those and they look so stunning in the picture. It is going to be a long winter waiting for all of my new flowers to bloom.

Licorice Stick looks like velvet. There is something very elegant about the way the falls hang.

Marion, IN(Zone 5a)

and I want just one of each lol

One is not enough! Iris bloom on a stalk just once per root, and it takes 2-3 years for the babies to get ready to bloom again.

Cherry Smoke is one of those really black velvety reds I love....

Marion, IN(Zone 5a)

ok fine! I want several of them then lol

Well, you start with one & they multiply! No more "blacks" in my beds--they create a visual "hole" so I have to be careful of how I place them.

Hagerstown, MD(Zone 6a)

How 'bout this historic? EDENITE. I like it because it a red-black.

Thumbnail by Elizabethtown
Hagerstown, MD(Zone 6a)

HARLEM HUSSY is another good dark colored iris for me.

This message was edited Jul 25, 2005 8:30 AM

Blandinsville, IL(Zone 5a)

OH MY!

Now I have to double everything on my wish list.

Annie>>>> Heading out the door for work. These 12 hrs shifts are killing me. Don't have any time to work in the yard let alone go buy anything new.

Annie

Harlem Hussy? Sounds like something Moby needs in her "naughty" garden... :)

Hagerstown, MD(Zone 6a)

Don't forget the SDBs. Let's start with JEWEL BABY...

Hagerstown, MD(Zone 6a)

and BABY PRINCE...

Hagerstown, MD(Zone 6a)

and move up with the IB, CHERRY SUPREME

Gotta love the colors of those dwarfs. Fantasic collection you have there, Elizabethtown!

Hagerstown, MD(Zone 6a)

Thank you. Just caught the median bug the last year or two. Now I've started in on Siberians but those are a little dicey for me yet so I'm taking those sorta slow. But I've got to admit, I really like the medians because they rarely need staked.

Roni

Lebanon, OR

How about Midnight Oil

Thumbnail by irisloverdee
Hagerstown, MD(Zone 6a)

Oh Dee that's lovely, I've been waiting for years to get ahold of a bloom of this one. Purchased one in a trade 3 years ago and accidentally forwarded it to a Girl Scout/School group in NY for their America garden. Got one in a trade last year and it didn't bloom this one. Of course, bloom failure might have had something to do with the fact I planted it on top of tet a tet daffodils and they uprooted the thing this spring. I was lucky I didn't loose it completely. LOL.

Those darn daffodils DO seem to come up in wierd spots. But I do love them so in the spring...

Hagerstown, MD(Zone 6a)

Nah, it's not their fault. I just forget where the durn things are planted when it comes time to plant new irises. LOL! Doesn't everyone have that problem? It's either I build a mound over top of them or I dig down into the middle of their underground "nest" to turn the soil to plant and iris and UGGGGGHHHH I forgot again!

Roni

Vancouver, WA(Zone 7a)

That happens a lot to me...especially with muscari (grape hyacinth) since they bloom so early.

I have a system, for the last couple of years I've been planting my daffodils BETWEEN iris & dayliliy clumps. They bloom before the TBs and foliage is basically covered up as the daylilies fill out. I also always plant in my newest front row --if it didn't exist last year, it CAN'T have daffodils in it! :)

Licorce Stick is very dark & very deep purple.

You know, I don't have a black SDB. I'll have to go looking real quick...

Tulsa, OK(Zone 7a)

oh those dark ones so pretty really like them to.. and the dark purple..

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.