Double Old-Fashioned Hollyhock!

Carmel, NY(Zone 6b)

A neighbor down the street grew these from seeds from his great-great-grandmother's garden. They are soooo gorgeous! I stopped by today to ask if I could take a photo - they are at the end of their life-cycle, so they're not near as pretty as they were, but I'm very excited - he told me I could take a seed pod this fall. He has pink, red, and one that's almost black. Truly breathtaking!

Sorry for the quality - what you can't really make out is the fabulous flat "bib" around the back. Just lovely!

This message was edited Jul 23, 2005 6:22 PM

Thumbnail by Sequee
Lindsay, OK(Zone 7a)

you lucky dog - now you have to give them and few years and share!

Carmel, NY(Zone 6b)

If these have as many seeds in the pod as my Rose of Sharons, I should have enough to share a few. But first step first - be nice to the neighbor. Very nice!

Lindsay, OK(Zone 7a)

Bake them some cookies ... that is what I do when I want my neighbors plantlets or seeds.... some how sugar makes the pain of me takeing a few much less...

Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

Sequee,
Those hollyhocks are so pretty!
Yes, you have good neighbors!
So do be nice so you get lots of seeds to share, hint, hint!!! hehe
Carol

Bridgman, MI(Zone 5a)

Be really,really nice to fellow DG'ers who have seed pods you covet. Sequee, I'd lock those seeds in a safe deposit box if I were you. LOL
I hope you get many years of enjoyment out of them.

Anne

Lindsay, OK(Zone 7a)

Trying to figure out how to get you a plate of cookies..... ummmmmm

Carmel, NY(Zone 6b)

LOL! I have lived in this house for just over 4 years, and this is the first time I'm ever seen that neighbor in person! His yard kind of looks like a junk yard, and his dogs always bark when we walk by. I've spotted these flowers for the past couple of weeks, but kept fogetting to go by and get a look. When I walked by the other morning, I said "Hi!" and he kind of grunted. Then I asked him what kind of flowers they were, and his entire personality changed! He went all over about how his family has lived in a house upstate for years and years, and these flowers have ALWAYS grown there. He took a few seed pods when he went up for Christmas a few years back. Last year they "were pathetic" and he wondered what the problem was. This year they really took off and look just like his gran-gran-granny's did! He was delighted when I took photos and even more delighted when I asked for a pod. Now I have to think of what I can offer as a "trade". I'm thinking one of my prize Asiatic Lily tubers might do the trick! LOL!

Lindsay, OK(Zone 7a)

The world would be a better place if we all grew plants - at least it feels like it! LOL Mitch

Carmel, NY(Zone 6b)

Plants and pups and purrs! That's what REALLY makes the world go round.

Carmel, NY(Zone 6b)

Lordy - I just found this thread again!

Did anyone want some seeds? (I'm not sure what color I have, but they were all gorgeous!)

Silex, MO(Zone 5b)

You have some to share? That would be awesome!! I have a trade list if you want to see what you'd like. :)

Carmel, NY(Zone 6b)

I would love to trade for your Osteospermum "Glistening White", but I will send you a note when I get home this evening. I think I may have a couple of others from your want list!

Silex, MO(Zone 5b)

Really??? That'd be great! :)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.