Leaf Rollers - Cannas

Pocahontas, TN(Zone 7b)

I have Small Leaf Rollers on my Cannas, can someone please tell me what to use to stop the problem.

Judy

Woodville, TX(Zone 8a)

Judy, I have had this same problem for a few years now. I tried mixing the soap, alcohol, or peroxide and it didn't work. Here lately I have been using Sevin (liquid in a sprayer) and that has been effective. I was also told to be sure to get rid of any old leaves when they die down in early winter. I also sprinkled some of the Bayer's Rose systemic granules that are supposed to fertilize and get rid of insects both for 6 weeks. Mine is an ongoing problem since we are in the middle of hay pastures and those army worms that eat the grass evidently get into my cannas also. Hope this helps you. Jenny

Pocahontas, TN(Zone 7b)

"Bayer's Rose systemic granules" I have some and thought seriously about using it. It didn't hurt your cannas?

I bet I have a couple of hundred cannas, of just two varieties. They are only on my solid green leaf but I sure would hate for them to get on these guys.

Thumbnail by judycooksey
Pocahontas, TN(Zone 7b)

close up of the leaf

Thumbnail by judycooksey
Pocahontas, TN(Zone 7b)

Good tip about cleaning up dead leaves, I didn't this year.

Woodville, TX(Zone 8a)

So far the Bayer hasn't hurt any of my cannas. Hopefully it will keep the rollers away and feed the cannas at the same time.
Someone else told me they burn off the old leaves in early winter and that would help destroy any eggs left for the next year. I think I will try this in one or two spots this winter. Jenny

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.