I'd like a 2nd opinion, please...

N., CA(Zone 9a)

I have a small rust-colored dots on the leaves of my canna. I took a leaf to my county extention office and they first told me rust, then they said spider-mites after looking under a magnifying glass. What do I do about them? "Nothing. They are only unsightly." Well, I've come home and googled spider mites, and (1) some sites say they can destroy the whole plant; (2) I cannot find any connection to Canna and spider mites; (3) pics online dont look like my problem.
There is no webbing, either.
Not that I dont trust my local Master Gardeners, but... I'd really like to hear from DGer's first hand experiences. I still need to take a picture of it. Will post shortly.
Thanks in advance!

N., CA(Zone 9a)

It seems that the leaf that I took with me was the only one effected, and I threw it away. I cannot find any more on the plants at all. So I guess my problem is solved! (for now)

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

Well, if they come back you can easily spray them off with water. (Commercial grape growers set up misting systems during the hot months to keep the mites at bay. Apparently they prefer dry conditions.)

If you get a bad infestation a soap spray will also help.

N., CA(Zone 9a)

Thanks, 'Shoe. I will do that when/if they come back. Prolly why couldnt match up canna with spidermites in my search. Tropicals do not usually equal dry conditions. Makes sense.

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

Dang! You're good! Excellent perspective!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.