Can yellow squash have blossom end rot?

Gresham, OR(Zone 8a)

I am growing several containers of vegetables this summer. For the most part, my yellow squash is doing well; I've been enjoying a farily steady supply. What concerns me, though, is that I have found about 10 or so smaller squash with the blossom end wilted, and brown. Is this caused by watering problems? or is it a fungal thing? or could it be a deficientcy in the soil....? Any adivce is welcome!

Thanks in advance.

Tracy

Fritch, TX(Zone 6b)

i don't know, but somebody will answer you soon...

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

Usually what you describe is fruit abortion. Either lack of pollination or the vine can't support the fruit at that time. Since you are getting some squash I would suspect the latter. Squash vines are samrter than we are in that respect.

Gresham, OR(Zone 8a)

Thanks! Thanks! Thanks! Thanks!

Tracy

San Jacinto County, TX(Zone 8a)

Hey tracyrae;
Tha squash vines, plants are smart!
-
Notice the ground in this pic.
This patch is a heavy producer but always has some small ones with tha same problem.
We simply pull them off.

Thumbnail by heycharlie
Gresham, OR(Zone 8a)

heycharlie! Howdy to you in The United States of Texas! I used to live in Dallas too many years ago. Loved it in Texas.

I am glad to hear that the seasoned Big-Time vegetable gardeners (farmers) have some of the same situations as us little gardeners. I'll bet you are just the person to answer a new question for me:

I just returned from a 4 day vacation, and found that my lemon cucumber plant may have bit the dust! I had my step daughter over to water the plants for me, and I don't think she watered very deep, or often enough for the 90 degree weather we had here. These are in containers, and alot of the leaves have turned brown, and the whole plant is laying on the ground. Most of the stems are still green, there are still flowers and some immature fruit, but a lot of brown leaves. Is there any way to salvage this? I watered it really well, and will have to see how it responds in the morning...but any advise will be very much appreciated.

Thanks!

Tracy

San Jacinto County, TX(Zone 8a)

Hey tracyrae;
I may not be tha best one to ask about containers. Bet some others could jump in and give better advice.

I assume you have drainage in your containers.
Cukes need regular watering. Deep is good but not constant wet feet.
Sounds like yours will do ok though.

Did you or have ya used stakes.
I let mine climb. There are many ways, to give them something to climb on.
Mine is only one way. Pic shows straight 8 and pickling types. Both are climbers.

Good luck
-
Lol [united states of texas] huh
Born in Big D by tha way

Plants shown in pic reached the top of tha string weave and started dropping down.
I pinched off the growth points at that time.
Those are the only places I pinch off. The rest I let grow. Good production, and shade.
-
That patch, row is about gone.
I intend to replant in a different spot sometime in tha next couple of week

This message was edited Jul 30, 2005 4:01 PM

Thumbnail by heycharlie

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.