CLOSED: What are these RED BUGS on my milkweed & what do they want?

Brooksville, FL(Zone 9a)

Can anyone tell me what these bugs are that stay constantly on my butterfly milkweed?? They seem to really enjoy getting into the seed pods just as they are opening. Their are big ones and tons of baby ones (I am assuming these are all the same bugs, just babies and adults).

Can someone tell me if they are good or 'bad' or what exactly they find so wonderful about the milkweed?

here are some of the babies/small ones - I'll post a pic of a big one next.

Thanks!

Onalee

Thumbnail by onalee
Brooksville, FL(Zone 9a)

here's one of the big ones . .

Thumbnail by onalee
Modesto, CA(Zone 8b)

Well, that just goes to prove that baby ANYTHINGS are cute! They don't look related to me, but I'm certainly no bug expert. The big one looks like some sort of what we call "stink bugs" here. The little ones.......???? I'm going to hang around and see what the experts have to say!

K

Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

I can't believe I'm up this late...your bugs are nymphs of the milkweed bug. Here's a couple links
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=milkweed+bugs
http://images.google.com/images?q=milkweed%20bugs&hl=en&lr=&sa=N&tab=wi

Brooksville, FL(Zone 9a)

Thanks Floridian!!

I've also seen these on my Devil's trumpet - apparently, they like to eat the seeds of the milkweed (which explains why they congregate on the seed pods!) I wonder if they are doing the same thing on my devil's trumpets ??

I like this off one of the sites you linked :

"Impact on the Ecosystem

Positive
Milkweed bugs are one of a small group of insects that have the ability to tolerate the toxic (poisonous) compounds in the milkweed plant. They are therefore important in regulating populations of this plant.

Negative
None, unless you are trying to raise milkweed plants! "

HELLO!! Yes, I would like to have milkweed plants for the butterflies, not particularly interested in raising Milkweed bugs! :-)

Thanks so much for your help! I guess live and let live, as long as they don't eat all my seeds or bother the cats too much!

Onalee

Pinellas Park, FL(Zone 9b)

Thanks,
Always wondered what they were. I do spray them.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.