July 2

Baker City, OR(Zone 5b)

Hello everyone. You all must be having a busy catch-up-day. Yesterday I went with the farm help group on a ranch tour, a 750 cow beef operation with 12,000 deeded acres plus about 25,000 USFS acres they use in the summer. This is a 4th generation family ranch, the great grandfather homesteaded and had a stagecoach stop, store, post office, and stable with feed for the teams. They are about 2 1/2 hours from here so we made a day of it complete with barbecue and potluck. The rancher's wife raises a flock of sheep for wool and also has about 15 llamas. She dyes the wool, does hand spinning, has a yarn/weaving shop on the ranch, makes saddle pads and vests from felt from her own wool, weaves, makes rugs and all sorts of interesting things. Soon she will be spending a week at her local county fair doing demonstrations and taking some orders. Her yard is a collection of very hardy plants that survive -20 winters and frost any night of the year. She gave up on vegetable gardening. I think she needs a greenhouse. Anyhow, it was an interesting day and now I need to be catching up with weeds and irrigating the garden. Bye for now, have a great day and count your blessings.

This thread has 6 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!