Cobaea Scandens

Brantford, ON(Zone 5a)

URL to my Cobaea Scandens 2004. I took the pictures all summer and consolidated and put on my fast web site for viewing pleasure. I have another growing this year, but not yet in bloom. I will post when it develops.

http://www.durgan.org/Cobaea%20Scandens/HTML/index.htm

Durgan1

This message was edited Jul 22, 2005 7:10 PM

(Taylor) Plano, TX(Zone 8a)

OMGosh! wow...
I am so jealous! lol..those are absolutely gorgeous!~
I've tried them several times, but either the seed didn't germinate, or the plant didn't bloom, or...just never have gotten this one right...same with the purple bell vine...
Thank you for posting your gorgeous pictures. I can now enjoy them vicariously and "virtually" through you.
wow...
-T

Mount Angel, OR(Zone 8a)

I just love the cobaeas , Taylor, you should be able to do that. It is hotter there and these guys like the heat. I have had them here. I start seed early in the greenhouse but then it is September before I see bloom and then frost and cooler weather are just around the corner; so they don't have a long life for me. I have wintered one over only once. I don't keep heat in my greenhouse.I start them in peat pots.

BTW, the roses are doing wonderfully. So healthy and growing. Thinking of you everytime I see them. Lady Banks has even thrown a couple of little blooms.

Joann-
So happy to hear the roses are happy!

I started some (in the greenhouse a few years ago) in November. I had great germination and had dozens of them. In the Spring I planted them out. They were already huge and tangled. They were solid on my east wall, up to the roof, and loaded with tiny buds.

In just one day a grasshopper managed to chew each stem at the ground level, on every single vine. I caught him red handed just as he'd finished the last one(great timing, ugh) and I crushed him and then had a good cry, lol...

The last two years, I've tried them again, but must have had old seeds. I refuse to give up! I will just keep trying until I get some going again. The next time I do, however, I'll spread them around, and not keep them all in one place. That way a stray grasshopper cannot get them all at the same time...That was a weird year, anyway...hoards of grasshoppers...
I've not even seen a grasshopper this year...

Mount Angel, OR(Zone 8a)

Oh what a discouraging experience. Sounds like a plague out of the Bible or something. You just keep trying, and I will find you some seed.

Thanks Joann, you're a sweetie! Yes, they were VERY destructive that year...I remember it even getting on the news...many farmers lost entire crops to them...
-T

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.