Virginia Creeper cuttings

Green Bay, WI

What is the best way to start cuttings from a Virginia Creeper vine. I heard that summer is the best time to try to root the cuttings. I guess some specific questions that I have are:

1) Should I use a single leaf, a cluster of leaves, or the tip of the vine?

2) Should there be anything special in the water to help stimulate root formation?

3) Are there any special light requirements that I need to fulfill?

4) Once rooted, should they be planted this year or next Spring?

5) Is there any other advice that someone could share rearding starting a cutting?

6) I was told that using cuttings is the best way to propagate the vine. From your experience is this true or is there a better way?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Salt Lake City, UT(Zone 5b)

I had a huge crop of VC when we first purchased our house. The vine was so invasive that we have been trying for three years to kill it completely. My hubby and I have noticed that after we cut it back, if we forget to pick up the cuttings, they root! We give them no special attention or anything. Good luck getting yours started, we can't wait to get rid of ours :).

Lindsey :)

Green Bay, WI

My VC is really funny. It seems that if I look at it funny the whole vine dies. I've been at my home for 5 years and only seem to get a half dozen vines to grow at any given time. They seem to only grow so far and then they wither up and die. This happens on the sunny as well as the shady parts of the house. I'd really like it to propagate to at least 3 - 4 times the number of vines that are currently there. Maybe there's something in the water...

Pittsfield,, MA(Zone 5b)

I have TONS of Virginia Creeper (Why anyone would buy this is beyond me as it is so prolific) We pulled out 2 bushels baskets of the stuff last weekend. But if you're interested let me know. Will find some rooted pieces and send them you way....

Savannah, GA(Zone 8b)

I have been spraying VC with round up for years and it keeps sprouting up. I have gotten it somewhat under control, but can't get rid of it. It came over the fence from my neighbor's yard. Can't imagine someone wanting to plant it.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.