What happened to my Lily?

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 4a)

I bought this years ago from T & T Seeds here in the city. This is the first year that this has happened. Does this mean it has a virus?
Help!
:) Donna

Thumbnail by PerennialGirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

kdjorgensen (I hope I spelled it right), can tell you! Just drop him a line and tell him what you posted and where. He's a genius!

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 4a)

Okay. Thanks, pirl!

Mirpur (A.K), Pakistan(Zone 9b)

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
DONNA YOU HAVE VERY LOVELY FLOWER.
Kaleem

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 4a)

It's not supposed to look like that, Kaleem...lol.

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 4a)

This is what it looked like last year.

Thumbnail by PerennialGirl
Waxhaw (Charlotte), NC(Zone 7b)

Donna, as per seperate email.. it is TBV.. sorry -- Kenneth

Pirl.. you got the name mis-spelled, but you got the description right !!! (* ROFL *)

This message was edited Jul 21, 2005 9:09 PM

Moscow, TN(Zone 7a)

Don't know much about lily diseases. Can it be saved or does have to be destroyed? It's such a pretty lily be a shame to lose it.

BTW-Sent you several e-mails regarding the package I mailed to you. Can you check them out and get back to me? Thanks,

Loretta

Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

Yank that out and destroy it! My first Oriental to bloom this year had it and I had to destroy it. What a bummer! At least I have'nt seen any more cases of it and hopefully that's your only infected plant.

Montreal, QC(Zone 4b)

I am not sure about it but if only the bloom is affected it might be a mutation. It happens offen with gladiolus hybrids since the corm that grows in spring is replaced by a new one in fall. Lilies undergo the same process I think; the newest bulb growing over the old one and a mutation can happen along the process. Any expert has experience of this?

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 4a)

I'm going to see what happens to it this year. I didn't yank the bulbs out.

Columbia Heights, MN(Zone 4a)

What is TBV and what causes it?

Waxhaw (Charlotte), NC(Zone 7b)

The virus will stay in the bulbs and you will probably see the same pattern this year (if it is TBV). Virus is primarily spread via insects and when bulbs are dug if using equipment which are not cleaned between each batch.

TBV is a lethal virus which can kill the lilies you have in your yard (not just the currently affected one). I would remove and destroy all affected lilies.

Kdjoergensen - So, I went out and did some research and didn't find too much. TBV is Tulip Breaking Virus and aphids were the insect specifically mentioned as transmitting this virus. If that's the case, would it do any harm to periodically spray for aphids even if you don't see any or are you aware of mitigations that would prevent an outbreak? Once infected and plants destroyed, are there any lingering effects such as soil contamination?

I think this is an important topic and I appreciate any thoughts, insights, or advice you might share.

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 2b)

I don't spray, I immediately yank and destroy before it spreads to other lilum.
And wash hands well after yanking. You can ofter see the virus on leaf formation, long before bloomtime.
Inanda

Well, I hope I never do, but I suppose with ordering bulbs, you have to take that chance. The first summer I was in this house, there was a terrible infestation of aphids. Luckliy, it was before I got into bulbs. Haven't had it since and that was about 10 years ago, but I'm always watching. Makes me start itching just thinking about it.

Saint Bonifacius, MN(Zone 4a)

It's one of the advantages of growing lilies from seed: seeds are always virus free.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.