hollow lily stems....HELP!

Falls Mills, VA

Some bug is eating my asiatic lily stems from the inside....hollowing them out. The upper leaves turn yellow and then the upper half of the plant dies. Under the leaves, near the main stem, I find little white things...clumps of them.....like snow almost. Any idea what this is? And what to do to get rid of it? These bugs (yet to be seen) hollow the stem out right up to the flowers. I doused them in seven dust tonight out of a lack of anything else to use. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
Virginian

Landisburg, PA(Zone 6a)

You have borers in the lilies..The white stuff you see is what comes out the hole they went in...I figure what they have chewed up....Look closely and you will see a hole.....I break it off and hunt the worm and kill it......Haven't found any other way to get rid of them....But you will find a worm if you go far enough in the stem...When stem is solid again you have past where they are...Good Luck!!!

Falls Mills, VA

bluepoppy:
Thanks for you help. Maybe I can get enough of the borers stopped to salvage some seed, I was wanting to try my hand at starting lilies from seed this year.
Thanks again,
Virginian

Landisburg, PA(Zone 6a)

lET ME KNOW HOW IT WORKS FOR YOU AND IF YOU FOUND ANY WORMS>>>>>>

Falls Mills, VA

Bluepoppy:
I just got back from vacation and the sevin dust seems to have helped. I don't seem to have any new plants infested and I think I will be able to salvage about 75% of my seed pods. I never did see any worms. To open the plant to get the worms would kill the seed pods so I just left them alone.
Thanks
Virginian

Landisburg, PA(Zone 6a)

well Sevin on the outside will not kill the worms that are in the inside.......Sooo if you had the white stuff (poop) down over the leaves on the outside and there is a hole you can trace that to you have borer and they are in the inside...I like to kill them so they arn't with me the following year or at least not as many.........The more worms I can kill the less for another year.........

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.