Multi-Colored Hydrangea?

Spokane, WA(Zone 5b)

This is my neighbor Dee's Hydrangea. She said when she bought it, it was only supposed to be one color. Instead she got a bush with blue, pink & white. You can't really see the white ones anymore but she said had I seen it a week earlier I would have.

I think she lucked out - it's quite the bouquet.

Thumbnail by Karrie20x
Woodville, TX(Zone 8a)

Very pretty. Some of my mopheads do that. I think various roots take up more or less of the aluminum sulphate that I put on them a couple of times a year. My Forever Pink was pink, purple, lavender and shades of light blue. Jenny

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Yes I think it is very typical...and it makes it all the more interesting.

Mirpur (A.K), Pakistan(Zone 9b)

Wow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! so beautiful.
Kaleem

Ocean Springs, MS(Zone 9a)

Mine does that. Except that I had never seen the white blooms until this year.

I think it kind of cool.

Dee

Modesto, CA(Zone 8b)

It's just changes in the soil ph, isn't it? Mine was doing that until I started adding Aluminum sulphate during the winter (3 times, 1 month apart). Now it's BRIGHT blue!

K

Spokane, WA(Zone 5b)

Yes, but from what I read, alkaline produces one color, acid produces another. So when you get these multi-colors, it makes you wonder what is going on underneath that top soil, ya know?

Modesto, CA(Zone 8b)

Mine was pink, then began to change to multi-colored once I started adding the aluminum sulphate. It took a good 3 years to change completely from pink to cobalt blue. I'm sure if I stop with the winter treatments it will revert to multi-colored, then pink again over a few years.

Jonesboro, GA(Zone 7b)

One year I put lime on one side of mine and acid food on the other - it was pink on one side, blue on the other and lavender in the middle.

Modesto, CA(Zone 8b)

Neopolitan Hydrangea!

Camilla, GA(Zone 8a)

I have a multi-colored one called "Kalidescope"..

Larkie

Mystic, CT(Zone 6b)

As blooms age, they change color, allowing for one plant with different color blooms.....

This message was edited Jul 28, 2005 11:16 AM

Fenton, MO(Zone 5b)

All I can say about that hydrangea Karrie is WOW! Thats just too pretty for words.

Spokane, WA(Zone 5b)

it is a beaut, isn't it!

Lake Toxaway, NC(Zone 7a)

If a hydrangea is plants again the foundation of a house, it will get a little lime leaching from the cement, so some of the flowers could be a bit more pink, while up front, more blue in acid soil.

Mississauga, ON(Zone 6a)

Karrie20x, That is most beautiful. Love it.

I took this picture at a local park. It was the only flower on the bush with the bi-colour.

Joan

Thumbnail by Joan6aON
Spokane, WA(Zone 5b)

Wow - on one flower! This computer I'm working on doesn't have very good resolution, but I was able to see a fuzzy, lol. Wish the photos were more clear on this screen. Can't wait to get my computer back, up and running.

Mississauga, ON(Zone 6a)

I saw beautiful Hydrangeas while in British Columbia recently, just awesome.
I think they grow much differently & produce much better than they do here in Ontario. The color variations on a single plant were stunning as were the colors themselves.

Thumbnail by SunshineSue
Spokane, WA(Zone 5b)

I like that pink!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.