my corn!!!!!

Glen Burnie, MD(Zone 7a)

Something is hapenning to about four stalks of my corn. They are fine one day and then the next they are completely bent over. One looks shredded at the bottom and the ear of corn got shredded and now ants have overtaken that ear.

What could be doing this? Should I pull the ears of corn that this has happened to? Here are som piks

Thumbnail by noobiegardener
Glen Burnie, MD(Zone 7a)

here's another

Glen Burnie, MD(Zone 7a)

and another...I tried to hold this one together with an old set of nylon pantyhose....my neighbor told me to do it...but now it's ruined.

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

Loks like critters. Raccoons,or Groundhogs,

Glen Burnie, MD(Zone 7a)

But I have fencing all the way around and sod stakes about every inch or so at the bottom of the fencing so that they can get under...there are no digging holes....are they climbing over the fencing?

Also, I followed the instructions for planting, but my neighbor says the stalks are a little too far apart. I've got ears of corn on all them, but he says they are a little thin. Will my ears of corn still be OK or should I just give up all together on the corn?

Dry Ridge, KY(Zone 6a)

Raccoons and I believe groundhogs can climb fences. I say groundhogs because I saw one up a tree once so if it can get up the tree I am guessing it can get over a fence. Of course the dogs barking at the base of the tree may have had something to do with his new found ability.

We used to use an electric fence for the raccoons plus we would offer a (dried) corn offering away from the patch to appease them. It seemed to work. This was on a farm though. If it is your back yard I wouldn't necessarily offer them food. They can get quite testy when the offering stops. I've heard horror stories about raccoon feeding. The feeding stopped while the people went on vacation and when they returned home the coons had torn the bird feeders down, ripped through the veggie garden, tipped over the trash and chewed at the wood around the front door.

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

Squirels will also do a number on sweet corn, but they don't usually knock tdown he stalks. Blue Jay and Grackles also strip corn but leaves the stalks intact. Your damage really looks like larger four legged critters.

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

That was my first impression...squirrels. I've had more squirrel damage to corn that coons in my area. (Even quit growing corn here for a couple yrs cus of it.) It's true, squirrels don't usually knock down the stalks but I'm wondering...in your case, noobie, those stalks are looking mighty slim. If a squirrel were to leap from your fence onto the stalk I'm sure it would bend/break it over like that.

If you have coons or groundhogs you should see footprints and also see where they bent your chicken wire over while climbing across.

Glen Burnie, MD(Zone 7a)

Horseshoe...should I just pull the corn? I keep hearing that it's so thin...Can someone post a pik of their corn? I think I'm gonna pull mine.

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

I wouldn't pull it. At this point if your corn is filling out why not just wait and see if you get to sample any of it? If it's squirrels they'll most likely be out there in early morning and again mid-day (unless it's extremely hot) and often again before sundown.

If it is coons they'll show up at nite.

I hope you get to try some of your corn...I know you've been waiting long enuff for it!

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

Here is a pic from last month. I had a little talk with my squirrels aided of course with a Daisy Powerline. They have pretty much left me alone this year.

Thumbnail by Farmerdill
Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

This is a close -up of a short cultivar (Lucious). Note that I plant on 48 inch centers at 15-18 inch intervals. If I crowd much more than that I get spindly plants with nubbins.

Thumbnail by Farmerdill
Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

Lookin' good, Dill!

That Lucius looks like it might have nice tight husks...if so, have you noticed whether it helps keep the worms at bay?

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

No such luck. If I miss the spay schedule, I not only have one at the ear tip, but often a second one will enter through the husks at the base. Good thing they are cannibalistic and don't tolerate each others company. Sometimes the early crop will be ahead of them, and I can tolerate the small amount of damage. Late corn is eaten alive.

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

Yep...I've come to expect sharing some of my kernels with a worm. However, when they want more than I'm willing to offer it means war!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.